Questions about keys

I’ve read that E-types were originally sold with only a single key for doors and ignition. My '66 FHC has had three keys since I bought it 23 years ago, only the ignition key bears the Lucas logo. Presumably the lock barrels were replaced in the car’s pre-history. It seems unlikely that there would be a way to alter the locks to work on a single key. Are three new barrels necessary? If so, does Barratt or any other supplier sell a matching set?

Any advice appreciated!

I’ve a friend that is a lock smith he doesn’t work on car locks ( hassles) but has told me that he knows one who does and that he can change the keys around . It was for a bit newer car but I don’t think that would matter ,you would know doubt save money removing them your self
Cheers

They’re actually remarkably easy to rekey so long as the cylinder you want to change accepts the same basic slug shape. If the new key kits in but won’t turn, you just take it apart and stick in the new key, and yank out and swap around brass tumblers until they all sit flush with the barrel. You might have to file some if they’re too long. You might have to source some from a scrap cylinder if some are too short.

1 Like

If you are not particularly fussy the down and dirty method is to pick the key you want, remove the barrel from the other lock you want to match, insert the chosen key in it and file down any of the wafers that stick out. It will make the locks open with a wider assortment of keys but it is not a high security system to begin with.

3 Likes

Barratts sell a 3 lock set of barrels

Thanks for the tips. I’ll get out my metal file!

On my 68 the doors, ignition and glove box all work with the same key. This site might have some useful info to get yours back to a single key,

http://www.britishcarkeys.com/

David
68 E-type FHC

Ooooo!

I know what I will be removing from my Rovers before I get them crushed… :slight_smile:

Both of my cars use one key, when I replaced the ignition switch on one I removed the tumbler and reinstalled into the new switch. Easy Peezy.

Regards,
Allen

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, I have one key for the doors and another for the glove box on my series 2. Having only one ignition key for my cars for years, I found a local locksmith who had blanks for all of them. Now I have 2 spare sets and don’t have to worry anymore about losing my keys.

John

I have a separate ignition key, door key and glovebox key for my 69 S2 coupe. It’s possible that the original ignition key was shared with the doors or glovebox, but the ignition was swapped out before I got the car 30+ years ago. Having had several OBCs at the same time, I always had duplicates made and stored them. Sometimes you can find the correct blanks online. Let me know if you need photos…

When we bought our 1969 S2 OTS in 1976 it came with one set of what I am fairly sure were original keys. The one with the more or less rectangular head is for the ignition and doors. The one with the sort of oval head is for the glove box and trunk.

That’s what I did on my '67. And, yes, easy peasy.