R/Ring the Power Steering Rack?

Am going to need to replace the rack with a good used one. I have looked in the archives and can’t find a single article that outlines the process for an X-300, other than a mention that it “can be done in a driveway if you have jack stands to put on the jacking points and a trolley jack to get the car high enough”. My tech was looking on U-Tube and found a video by someone showing it, but apparently the U-Tuber claims that there are three “Jaguar specialty tools” that are required for the job. I find that hard to believe … to me it looks like four simple bolts that are removed to take it out. :thinking:

What’s wrong with the old one?

Chris C

Paul Purtha wrote:

Paul the tools are to replace the bushings–not removal of the rack itself.

I was driving her and basically all the fluid ran out in a span of about 3 or 4 miles. The spot on the area where I parked showed the leak to be directly below the rack, toward the driver’s side. :cry: My tech got her up on jack stands, hoping it was just a blown hose/fitting, but said the boots at both ends were filled with fluid, so apparently one of the seals inside the assembly blew. I had been having an issue with a very slow leak for some time, and in fact had just added some “stop leak”-type fluid a few days earlier, hoping that would finally cure the problem (I have to wonder now if that might have caused the blown seal? :thinking:). I have found another good used rack for just $75 from a local lot, and given than Scrapper is my “beater” Jag (hence her name) that should be good enough for the fix.

I doubt if Stop-Leak was the cause :wink: I used a similar product on my
rack in 2011 and it stopped the leak for the next 5 years and 95,000 km :slight_smile:

HTH
Chris C

Paul Purtha wrote: