R12 to 134A Conversion

You’re carrying around 20 gallons of gasoline and you’re worried about a pound of propane?

I thought so as well besides the propane coming out in a front ender probably means a large explosion more quickly and Daimler AG famously refusing to use the new refrigerant gas because it was highly flammable despite the EU specifying its use.

Well I think there’s a reason they don’t put the gas tank in front of the radiator :slight_smile:

1 Like

I literally LOL’d… Just one more thing to go on fire in my Jag right? Interesting point though. I wonder what would happen

Well I guess it is not that dangerous. I imagine the gas is released rather quickly and will give off a big bang along with the explosion.
But apart from that…
R1234yf, the refrigerant I was talking about, is mandated by the EU. Yet many decided not to use it in their cars, Daimler AG mentioning that the gas can ignite despite claims of the manufacturers, breaks down under heat becoming highly poisonous, breaks down in the atmosphere (19000 tons/year) and turns into a substance that’s not nice to plants.

I wouldn’t worry about the propane in a high-speed frontal crash in an XJS. There is so much more to go wrong.

Was something said about the replacement gases? Are they shady, do they work anyways, what about the different blends,…?

Seriously, I think the biggest concern of the regulators is not that the propane is in front of the radiator but rather that it’s inside the passenger compartment. The way they see it, the evaporator could develop a small leak and then the driver could light up a Camel and booom.

1 Like

Well, make it smell?
If that was the main concern and you knew that you charged the system with propane you would be able to identify the smell.
The R1234yf fear is the hot exhaust parts though, in a crash; at least that’s what they claim.

Are all of the expansion valves you can buy now made for R134a? When I look up the part for my 84 xjs on rockauto there are 3 that say OEM compatible but no reference to R134a.

Good question! I would presume so, as R12 is supposed to be gone by now.

If you change valve up front it can hit the hood when closing…we bent pipe down and i put a plastic pad under hood …check clearance with chalk

What valve are you referring to?

Don

Order one of them in, mine said R134 on the valve.

the fill valve for ac…the one you have to change or convert it for the newer style fluid…it will hit the hood so we bent the pipe down slightly and then I took a plastic body putty spatula (about 1/8" thick) and cut a piece and glued it under the hood over the potential dent area

Scrimbo,
Please post a picture of this R134A valve.

Paul

I believe Scrimbo is talking about the fill ports, not the expansion valve. Putting R-134a adapters on the OEM R-12 fittings will, in fact, dent your hood if you’re not careful. I addressed this at length somewhere, dunno if it made it into the Book. Besides the obvious option of replacing the whole pipe with one with R-134a fittings, you can also install an extension adapter, an adapter that is basically a short length of hose with the R-134a fitting on the end. That way you can tuck it out of the way. The way I chose to do it on my car was to choose an adapter that utilized the Schraeder valve inside the R-12 port (not all of them do, some have their own valves and you remove the one in the R-12 port). Then after servicing the system, I simply removed the R-134a adapter and screwed on the R-12 hard cap. Kept the adapter in the glovebox.

1 Like

Kirby,
I have heard about hoods getting damaged from the R134A fittings but I don’t think I have ever seen that fitting. This was one of the reasons I have stuck with R12, no need to have my hood dented. I was curious and just wanted to see what it looked like.

Paul

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but there is no need to adapt the access ports when switching refrigerants, particularly if you do your own work.

Back in the day, 1/4 inch SAE flare fittings were deemed standard for automotive, commercial, and home AC/refrigeration. Towards the end of R12 use in cars, the US govt. decreed that 3/16 SAE fittings be used for the high side, whilst retaining 1/4 for the low side, for automotive applications only, to prevent morons from trying to charge through the high side.

When R12 was outlawed and R134a introduced, the US govt again mandated a change in fittings, so that the refrigerants would be less likely to be mixed. The ACME fittings chosen for 134a were unmistakably different. Charging hoses were introduced to match them, but for a while technicians retained their old gauge sets, with suitable adapters.

So there is no problem charging, using adapters, auto AC systems with any refrigerant into any fitting, including 134a into the original 1/4 inch SAE flares. If you plan on selling your car, or just to be a good citizen, you should apply a sticker near the fittings indicating that 134a is in use.

Photos…

Fill valve and blue semi hard plastic under hood…in case it would touch because of motor torque it would spread pressure and not create a ding in hood

We changed mine…now i can add fluid at home …no adapters needed