[racing] Jag IRS performance limitations

Hi, i drive with a GM th350 with manuell valvehouse. (no automatic function at all) 1 gear should be 2:52. it is not a perfect drag car but perform well without any power adders. (i dont think there are so many cars that are faster with a Jaguar rear axle). but my question now when i drive at track and have G force in corners as well… is it any good performance tip to get my Jaguar rear end to be top notch for conerhandling?. My goal with the car is to perform well on Dragrace, timeattack on trackdays and flying kilometer top speed. The car has been a d

aily driver for over ten years now.

1 Like

Johan Nice car just like an old American HOT ROD!
rarely can an IRS make good acceleration, when you launch the ground HARD , squat will camber the wide tires, and lose grip, only the inside edge of tire will make grip contact!
and as you gather speed and torque reduces with RPM , car will then start to lift suspension, reduce camber and tires get more hook ,car squrrily, ZIG/ZAG, fishtail,etc!
that is why most hi-powered cars use the old solid axle system, and also lock the axles together , by welding or install a spider gear lock piece! ( no good for street driving,Dangerous wet /snow weather!).
OK that said, that is how the Jaguar DANA LSD could react, very old technology 1950s,( i belieive the 1st Limited slip differentails were from GERMANY, 1930s Auto Union) new hi power cars IRS have made many redesigns and it is working much better, but very expensive , and hard to find in junkyards!, with a good final ratio!
ron

i just made qwik check , your final ratio in 1st gear, is only 7.9 -1,like said for drag you need no less than a 10-1 1st gear ratio, and modern Drag tire, for ground hookup!
SO much for Drag racing!
Road race is completly different, and again tires make it possible to go around lefts/rights , usually softer suspension,!
NOW Flying KILO, again opposite of drag , need a very Hi ratio(low number), around 2.88 for Jag rear , and an overdrive box!

WELL it is not easy to make a vehicle do all types racing, and it could become expensive money!
i dont know what kind of power/torque you have , drag means lots of low/medium torque!
flying mile , lots of top RPM torque!
around here,TEXAS MILE is the flying speed track, some info from the FAST guys, is it takes at least 800hp to go 200MPH, with 3500lb car!
also Aerodynamics become important around 150+ speeds, and 200 MPH brings you into the CLUB!
most BIG BOYS are shooting for 300MPH ,so far nobody! Texas mile!
pic of the Famous USA Bonneville track, early morning , NO sounds YET, dead silence, salt absorbs sound, Sun just comin up from Horizen , 1/2 hr later many engine start up, for line to start, an amazing sight to see! 300MPH , 400MPH 500MPH 1000MPH, amazing technologies take place!

pic of COTA (circuit of the Americas) F1 track!.
Bonneville , 30miles wide , 80miles long ,flat salt track!
ron

Camber curves are the secret to better handling in the twisty bits: PM and we can chat.

Hi, i am not sure how to PM…?
However, i have uppdate with delrin bushings and milling track on breake disc and new Feredo break pads with better performance.

I still think it is possible to be a multicar. It is a light car approx 920kg after some weightlosses. Performance is 607hp and 750Nm and it easly rew to 7500rpm. I did buy new tires Toyo 225/17” front and Toyo 295/19” back to the jag axle. We have also change all roller bearings. Did you have som ides of How to performance the jag axle trackrace.

Johan click on the posters avatar and a blue message box comes up;

But i dont get the blue message box?
Best regards Johan

If on a phone, click the person’s avatar (photo) and that will bring up a window that lets you PM them.

Might be too new to do a PM at present? Not sure what the time frame is to be allowed to PM?

Hi Rob
Fitz-James Graham here.I am starting up an old project putting a cad 500 engine and trans into a series 3 sedan or XJS.I am wondering if you are still involved and have experience putting big block engines in Jags?
Fitz

You might get more information on that in the Lumps subcategory. You can also look on YouTube, and see if there’s anybody who’s done that there.