Radiator overflow tube

The overflow tube on my car is only 17-18 inches long. That;s not long enough to go to the bottom of the car. How is this routed ?

Is it clipped anywhere?

Are you trying to connect it to the overflow tank? Not sure about 66s, but on my 69 s2, that hose runs along one of the top/upper frame rails to the OF tank on the firewall/ bulkhead. Its pretty long, without looking, I wou looking I would say 3-4 ft.

Bill,
On my car that tube is routed toward the ground but it is not clipped in place. It’s a standard size rubber hose so if yours is shorter than you’d like, just buy some and replace it with a longer length.

2 Likes

I’ve been using this video for my engine bay routing questions of late:

The area of interest to you starts around 1:45.

Here’s a still:

This guy on BaT decided to take it down the bonnet frame:

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

“This guy on BaT decided to take it down the bonnet frame”
Not a good idea imho.
The coolant becomes acidic upon ageing and oxidation, that may promote/favour internal rusting…

Something I’ve never seen before is one of those harness straps around the coolant hose. The video guy said it is for the otter switch wires and it looks like the coil wires are also held by it. Anyone ever see this?

I’ve seen it on a Series II upper radiator hose, holding the small hose to the main block to radiator hose. But I’ve no idea if that was done at the factory or if it was a later owner enhancement.

I suppose it is always possible the PO of this car saw the wires loose and pulled moved a strap from a different place. But as the anti-freeze tag is still hanging there that seems doubtful. Also the strap would have to be longer than any of the normal frame straps to be able to go around the large coolant hose.

It seems kind of an odd thing for the factory to do, though, as it seems they might think that having a strap in constant contact with a hot coolant hose would shorten its life.

Curious.

I duplicated it on my car and I must say it does a nice job of anchoring both the otter switch wires and the coil wires (on the other side). Since I bought the strap in bulk from SNG the length is no problem.

Rick

Given that at the time, these cars were not expected to last all that long, that probably did not come up for discussion at the factory… :slight_smile:

notice how nice the lower radiator hose fits up to the water pump. I suspect the replacement pump bodies are not exactly correct. The pump that came on the car and the replacement both must have the hose on at a slight angle.

Here is my '68. It was like this when I got it in 2000. I slipped it back to the same spot when I replaced the hoses. Very loose fit so will not chafe anything.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like