Radiator pipes/hoses, later 140DHC

Interesting I never thought about the connections to other items. I will check out the parts catelogue for the bits that can be bought.
Cheers

Hi All (Roger) on this topic,
My NAR bottom pipe arrived and it seems to have the right bend angle. High quality finish outside - nothing inside but it is aluminium.

I compared it to a secondhand and rusty one on ebay see pics…
The comparison shot is against an on screen image hence the difference in pipe size.

Does anyone know what the definitive tap style is for the 1955 XK140 OTS?

I have seen a variety of shapes including dummy taps as screw in plugs. The one I bought a while ago is tidy and will probably do the job but is it right? see pics

Any views much appreciated. Cheers

Hello Geoffrey,
I’ve attached a photo of the tap that was on my car when I bought it - the car had been locked away since 1983, and I’m pretty sure this is the original tap design for a May 1955 XK140. The one in your photo is not quite the same, with a longer shaft up to the tap handle.

I was feeling rather pleased that my last heat cycle run seemed to show I’d stopped this tap leaking, but enlarging the photo revealed the usual drip at the end, so I’m not there yet. I may end up keeping this safe and substituting a plain brass plug for practicality’s sake.

edit - the photo also shows the clamp that holds the pipe to the chassis underside, just behind the tap. It has a rubber strip under the metal to protect the pipe, and is held to the chassis underside by two bolts. That’s the only fixings the originals had, as far as I know.

Thanks Roger - Your tap looks like some that I have seen. My car is an August 1955 OTS so I think it would probably have had the same shape tap.

Points to note.

1. If a too strong spring washer is used under the nut on the handle thread then over time it makes the tap jam up as it slowly draws the shaft more into its housing. I can see the marks possibly left from mole grips on the soft brass handle shaft and spout rim when some force was needed
  2. Did yours possibly once have a spout directing the water downwards?
  3. The split pin is a good idea to keep it all together.
  4. The parts list says two washers for the tap base thread into bottom pipe but I feel it will take as many as necessary to get the shoulders tight and allow the tap handle to be on top like yours is.

I note your comments on the pipe clamps.

I will look out for a type in that style you have and maybe trade mine on. - cheers