Radio and Center Console install

Links to others who have gone before would be appreciated in advance.

Thanks for the help early with the Chris Vine link. [http://etype.chrisvine.com/category/rebuild/bodyfittings/interior/]

I have one final section to finish on the lower rear bulkhead vinyl and am looking forward to finishing the interior.

I recall removing the radio console first since it fits over the top of the most forward part of the center console as seen here.

You can also see how the previous installer marred the finish of the center console. I plan on using some very thin hard plastic to protect on re-install.

I have read here that maybe the radio console goes in first? Please confirm.

Recall my project began with a clutch job and that is complete and preliminary shake-down trials for mechanicals also complete. I had the seats and center console professionally re-covered and temporarily installed for the shakedown. Now the rest of the interior needs to be re-installed

I have also read other threads of how very difficult it is getting the center console over the E-Brake handle. Since both seats have been removed for my interior install I then removed the center console after the shakedown run in order to gain access to the lower rear bulkhead vinyl. Lifting from the rear of the console and then rotating the front toward the passenger side of the car and slightly rotating the console forward at this point allowed for a relatively easy removal.

Now I am questioning which console should go in firstā€¦and of course I only want to do it once!

I also understand there will be some fine tuning fitment required to allow for center dash panel to lowerā€¦which is fine. I am thinking that perhaps installing the radio console first would be the best idea in order to accomplish the fine tuning w/o marring the center console.

One last thing: any tips for contact adhesive for jute on top of Kool mat? I plan on using high temp stuff brushed onā€¦I need to use some type of cleaner to clean the surface of the Kool mat firstā€¦alcohol? Suggestions from you guys welcome here

Hi Dave ā€¦on my S2 2+2 i think i had to fit the radio consol firstā€¦but to ensure your instrument panel drops down make sure you have tbe gearbox metal cover fitted as low as possibleā€¦even elongate the screw holes if neededā€¦then trim back any underfelt etc under the carpets where the console sitsā€¦so befor you fit the radio console make sure you can get the center console as low as possibleā€¦ Steve

Good morning Dave,

I donā€™t think that you can fit the radio console first, you need that space to jockey the ā€˜centerā€™ console over the parking brake handle and I donā€™t think youā€™ll have enough room to work the ā€˜centerā€™ section underneath the radio console between the console and the rear bulkhead.

Thin hard plastic would probably work great, Iā€™ve used manila folder material to protect that are as well but thin plastic might be even better.

Koolmat is great stuff but about the only thing that sticks very well to it is RTV, I didnā€™t use anything to hold the jute under the carpet but hot glue works fairly well too.

Cheers,
LLynn

Thanks for the replies.

I will definitely do the test fit thing.

My initial plan is to trim the jute to just below the edge of both consoles and allow the carpets to tuck under as normal.

More later!

Well the jute and carpet are all fitted as well as the under seat hardura, rear vinyl and rear hardura. A painstaking process done over a number of days. Glad it is finished and, although not perfect, it is perfect for me! First time ever for me installing the interior. Seats and center console were done by a professional.

My synchro gear box does not have the filler on the driverā€™s side, so I will not be worried about installing the snaps for the tunnel carpet there. My gearbox filler is actually on the passenger side and accessible from underneath the car. New Redline was put in during the ā€œwhile in thereā€ stage of my clutch job.

The Retrosound radio took almost two full hours to get it just right in the console.

The console was test fit with the carpet in place before the radio went inā€¦everything is trimmed up and fits nicely so far.

I plan on installing the center console first and will be using custom cut pieces of very thin plastic, which are actually from a three ring notebook outside cover. This will serve to protect the rear bulkhead vinyl during the process of wrestling the console in place.

Once that is done I plan on using the same plastic to protect the console ā€œearsā€ up front while the radio console goes in and over that front section. Theoretically the plastic can then be pulled out thus prevent any scraping during install. There seems to be plenty of ā€œspaceā€ there.

A few picsā€¦not very happy with the passenger side wheel area. Oh wellā€¦

1 Like

Very nice work Dave, looks fantastic!
Cheers,
LLynn

Thanks. I appreciate your time the other day on the phone. It gave me the last bit of courage to proceed forward. I was so excited to be nearly finished I couldnā€™t wait to post some pics.

Going flying this week for FEDEX so no more progress for a week or so.

My pleasure, enjoyed talking to you. Iā€™m getting ready for the Oil Leak (tour) on Saturday so wonā€™t be around for a week or so, but feel free to call again if theirā€™s anything else. Have a good week flying!
Cheers,
Lynn

Update and pics. I purchased a notebook which was made of very thin plastic and used this to provide protection between the metal surface of the radio console and the leather/vinyl surface of the center console. The center console was installed fairly easily with the front end initially lower than the rear end. First I fed the gearshift lever in to the boot. Once accomplished the handbrake lever was fed through the opening with a slight longitudinal tilt to the right to allow for the end of the lever to breach the opening in the console. I found that the gear shift lever being in ā€œthird gearā€ gave me enough room to maneuver for the handbrake to feed through the openingā€¦it was a bit tight none the less. Once both levers were through I lowered the rear in to place. I then taped the plastic around the front of the center console on slid the radio console in to place. Checking to see if the dash gauge panel would rotate downā€¦I was disappointed to find that it would not! So out came everything again and I removed the Koolmat on the upper portion of the tunnel area that ā€œfitā€ inside the gear shift area. Crossing my fingers I reinstalled everything and to my great joy it all fit and the panel came down!! I had to stop work hereā€¦

![IMG_0319|375x500]

(upload://naDRqZq0ZMiJZ1iWHIdyypbhRzR.JPG)![IMG_0338|666x500]

(upload://yTgyzFvt822fHdraNy9d6JFUb0A.JPG)