Radio bracket decision

No not at all, you were clear. I was introducing a bit of information on 4 and 8 track cartridges, being quite specific to describe them as such. I knew what you were talking about and knew you were pretty close on cassettes, although I think the first cassette players for cars was around 1968, Phillips, but introduced in Europe. I think the U. S. intro was later, but probably didn’t catch on quickly because of the dominance of 8 track systems. Looking through a 1968 J. C. Whitney catalogue I find lots of 4 and 8 track players but no cassettes. (But they did show a convertible top for a 68 Jaguar for about $40.)

1 Like

I proudly installed an 8-track player in my first car, a 1965 Ford Custom at age 16 in 1971 (that makes me 65 today) My mom was soundly against me getting a car “so young” but my dad convinced her that he and I could have a good father-son project that would take over a year to do.

I purchased that car for $95 from an insurance company that had totaled it out. It needed a front clip, radiator, drivers side rear quarter panel and trunk interior. The one year project took two months, not including final body work and paint. After the mechanicals and body panels were done, the 8-track was my first purchase along with “stereo speakers”.

PS. I acquired the car before my 16th birthday and on my birthday my dad gave me a present of two retreaded tires… ahhhhh the good old days.

2 Likes

:heart::heart::heart: wonderful story. A dad doing what he can

It was my dad who commented when his brother-in-law (my uncle) purchased a 1968 Jag E-Type FHC Series 1.5 “for the price he paid for that Jaguar, he could of bought three Volkswagen Beetles” to which my reply was “but dad then he would have to drive a VW instead of a Jag”. Dad would have thought I lost my mind buying the 1969 Jag E-Type FHC Series 2 that I did just six weeks ago…

Hi,

For that purpose I bought an Akai CR-80-SS (as in Surround Stereo) 8-track deck so I can record from my SQ or QS vinyls, and Quadradiscs (CD-4) the surround stereo content that I can then listen to in my Jaguar XJ6C. :smiley:

That is 100% analog technology, I have also recorded for car listening other surround stuff from Audio DVD’s and BluRays through Dolby DTS or 5.1 into 4.0 which is not perfect as the center channel and subwoofer gets cut out, but that’s usually a minimal problem unless the 3.1/5.1 mix had the vocals in the center channel only.

My favorite content of that nature is the official Led Zeppelin live recording of their performance at LA Forum and Long Beach in June 1972, although the mix is not that great, but the music is. :slight_smile:

Of the period Q8’s my favorite mixes are the several Doobie Brothers releases and Guess Who’s Greatest Hits and Santana’s Caravanserai all of which have a wonderful surround mix which makes you feel you are surrounded by the band playing.

I do also have some classical music (Boulez conducts Ravel, etc.) as well as Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey etc. on Q8’s.

There is a forum for those quadraphonic audio geeks: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, George really had a nice S1 3.8L FHC before he got into Ferrari’s (he had an early Dino) and I am sure that vinyl player was only to be used with the car standing still and not hopping along small country roads. :slight_smile:

He was a car guy, among other things.

Cheers!

1 Like

If you don’t have it try her Live at Carnegie Hall album. Quality stuff.

Hi,

Yes, cool. That’s exactly the one that is available as Q8 in two 8-track quadraphonic cassettes, vol. 1 and vol. 2.

Cheers!

1 Like

Please see my thread:

It appears that we have identical aftermarket AC systems. Where did you find the inserts to cover the open space below the dash but above the vents of the AC system?