Radio frequency selection limited

The search function in the original radio worked fine when we acquired our 1999 XKR a few months ago, but has recently begun to misbehave. Because I’m still learning how to use it, I’m not sure whether the fault lies with the car or me. The problem occurs in both manual and auto-seek mode. Instead of showing every frequency in the range, the screen shows only the whole numbers consecutively. The decimal progression, however, shows only the odd decimals so that the selected frequencies run (eg) 101.7-101.9-102.1 and so on. Is there a fault in the unit, or have I simply pressed a wrong button somewhere? Advice will be gratefully received! Many thanks in anticipation
George
Series 3 E roadster
Series 1 XJ12
Series 2 Daimler Sovereign
Series 3 Sovereign 4.2

George

I am speculating a bit here but it sounds as though your radio has flipped into the 200kHz channel spacing mode that is used in some countries but not the UK which uses 100kHz spacing. This parameter is usually set during boot up so you could try disconnecting the battery, waiting a couple of minutes and then reconnecting. That might fix the problem because the radio will reload all its parameters as it powers up.

Make sure you have the radio code before disconnecting the battery and you will have to re-set your windows unless you open both doors before disconnecting.

Eric
Shropshire, UK

Eric, many thanks for the prompt response. I’ll go back to the dealer for the radio code before disconnecting the battery, so it may be a few days before I can report progress.
Cheers
George

Jaguar issued MANY TSBs for explanation of selectable features.

We had to check/set all these things at new car PDI when I worked at the dealer.

415-01 Radio Selectable Features.pdf (35.4 KB)
415-06 Radio Selectable Features.pdf (46.5 KB)
415-07Am Radio Station Cut Out.pdf (21.4 KB)

bob

Yes, that would explain it. Didn’t know that this feature was externally selectable. Maybe George accidentally flipped it into NA mode.

Eric

Eric, I think your theory about the cause (ie me!) is probably right. I need to get more familiar with the controls instead of fumbling about while trying to drive at the same time. And Bob, you were spot on with the solution. All is now well, and I thank you both!

Georgie

1 Like