Radio Repair Recommendation

They tend to stink as any radio signal will overrun whatever station you’ve selected as the bluetooth channel. Eventually even static makes it through the channel.

There’s a reason they are cheap and plentiful with no one using, or recommending it. It will work in a pinch, but once you swap out the head unit, you will never look back.

1 Like

Interesting comments from Veekay. But not the same as my experience.

Maybe I didn’t get interference issues because there isn’t a plethora of radio broadcasts where I live :thinking:

And when I got newer hearing aids that bluetooth to my phone I no longer needed the device in order for hands-free calling or for listening to satellite radio.

And I didn’t buy a $3.95 device. So maybe that played a factor also. But just saying I never had an issue

I have had mine modified with a SiriusXM transponder, small touch screen in the glovebox and a magnetic flat antenna which goes on top of trunk when on a trip (hidden in the back of the spare wheel when not needed.) I have had that set up in a 1972 Mercedes and it has worked very well by me. In the meantime, the AJ 9150 is on its way to Phoenix…

So basically you stick it into your cig lighter socket, turn the radio on, and attach your cellphone to the gizmo with a USB cable (or is that last part not necessary)? It then transmits that input wirelessly into a certain frequency of your FM radio . ? :+1:

No cable needs to be attached! The USB ports are for charging your phone, etc. It is connected by Bluetooth. Mine will also display battery voltage. Also, I do not know what the poster meant about “static”. By using Bluetooth and having the phone in the front seat, I have not experienced the static.

PS Yes, the ultimate is to replace the radio with one with Bluetooth! These radios are now cheap. I rather have the original radio whether it be on my Jags, Rolls or MB. Your choice.

Tune your radio to a FM station which is not providing anything … an “unused” frequency

Plug device into cigarette lighter socket and Tune it to that same frequency

Link your phone to the device via Bluetooth or cable.

Use your phone to play satellite radio, or your stored Playlist. The output will play out of your car radio.

This is what I have. Bought on Amazon for about 18 bucks. Used primarily in my Chevy truck.

Nulaxy Wireless in-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit W 1.44 Inch Display Supports TF/SD Card and USB Car Charger for All Smartphones Audio Players-KM18

Just paid my $40 deposit at Jeff’s to start the work on bringing it back to life, fingers crossed! If anyone has a factory installed CD changer in their 1993 Coupe, I would appreciate knowing what the brackets or installation looks like. I have the very helpful picture from the option catalogue…

This is what the Jaguar Classic website shows, but never seen one in place.

That is how mine is mounted.
and with boot trim kit in place only the front of the CD player shows and is accessible.

Is yours a convertible Jim? I don’t have any of those panels.

Pascal

No mine is a coupe.

Mine is a convertible, also MY 1995 as Jim’s and I have the same panelling around the CD changer in the boot.

Model year 93 doesn’t have any of that paneling, just as show on the previous photograph.

I missed not having a factory changer in Superblue after having one in Superblack (my '95 - R.I.P.) … :frowning_face: In preparation many years ago to maybe have one in her, I bought the carpeting set necessary for a car w. changer on Ebay. It has to have that slot on the driver’s side that the changer face sticks out of. Kept it sealed in the mailing box in the file room of my office for many years (i.e. never opened it up). I did realize when I ordered the set that the carpeting color was not exactly the same as that of Superblue. :grimacing: Never did get around to ordering a changer though, and when I moved offices last week I finally just tossed out the box. I didn’t think about maybe someone wanting it off of me. :blush:

Kind of an interesting note here. That area underneath the “shelf” shown in the diagram is where the factory tool kit is stowed for those cars that came with one (i.e. European models only), IIRC. :sunglasses:

Cool!!! Wish I had known about those gizmos a lot earlier … :sunglasses: (btw, I take it all Android smartphones come w. Bluetooth in them? :confused: )

So, took off the panel in the back of the rear driver side light cluster and there was a neatly wrapped blue OEM CD changer cable, with its black protection cap still on! Fit right in female plug of CD changer. Now, all I have to figure out is how to secure it, it seems that there are four screw holes on each side and maybe something below to put in a set of brackets?

This is the trunk area of a 1993 Convertible, same panelling as the 1995 version.

For reference, I just finished this install in a customer’s ‘95. Came out great with some minor modifications for the anchors behind the HVAC panel.

Nothing of the original bits were changed, so the same can go back in if wanted.

Sounds fantastic and the phone mic is very clear and concealed.