Radio replacement XJ40

Has anyone found a good /modern radio replacement that an fit the shape and slot properly, preferably with a USB / MP3 adapter?

Replies with pics would be ideal and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I can’t recommend any particular radio but you might try Crutchfield in Charlottesville, VA. They’re pretty knowledgeable on car radios.

Hmm…thanks but yeah, that’s out of question.
Just discovered an XJ40 forum, primarily based in the UK it seems.
Will give them a shot.

Funny the thought, but a 3D printer would be useful and kinda fun to try and in recreate that slope piece around your head unit of choice…hah.

Jeez, gives me pause to think that only a Jaguar owner would consider such madness.

Anyway, there’s gotta be something with an MP3/USB connection on it these days that will work.

Best

This is an Alpine unit that I installed last year. It sticks out a bit from where the original unit was but I’m not concerned with the look. It has a USB port on the right, that’s the blue thing.

Hey, thanks for taking time…

That doesn’t look too bad and I suppose will have to do the trick.
Have been away years (abroad), and know nothing of radio options these days. Never really cared as I always had older model Jaguars.

Everything I have is on USB now. Who uses CDs anymore?

Anyway, thanks. just curious how to deal with that slope.

Best

Me!

I load up six in the stacker and that’s all I need …(original XJ40 Alpine head unit, CD selector)

When I get fed up with those, I slip in another cartridge of 6.
Of course I download most of the CD albums as torrents and burn them to CD for play in the Jag.:sunglasses:

Ah, well that’s good if it works for you.
I have too much troule scratching CDs afer a while, etc…and too time consuming these days.

Just downloading or transferring entire collection to a USB key and fuggetaboudit.

That USB stick is 12GB. The Alpine unit can address 100 directories with 100 files each. That’s a max of 10,000 songs. More than I’ve got.

If I get a scratched CD I just make a copy on the computer, if it copies ok, then the new cd will be fine. I buy the occasional rare one at the fleamarket and if scratched, I make a copy.

I find large libraries of anything, especially songs on a jump drive to be too much pain to select a particular cut or album from - I guess it’s ok if you like to be surprised by a bunch of random songs as you motor along …not my style though!

ah…mamma mia…perfect.
I noted the model in your photo…
will do a search…gotta love the internet…sometimes :wink:

Thanks again.
Best

I should have taken a picture with the radio turned on. It’s fully searchable by artist, album, track etc with scrolling text.

It was an obsolete model when I bought it last year. Got it at clearance price.

1 Like

Ah, hah, thanks for that…
In fact I was wondering exactly that! …how could one could see to scroll through songs, etc.
Glad the large display and illumination…great.

going to look at car tomorrow, been sitting but clean, but been sitting…will need much replaced as result due merely to deterioration.

Will be nice to have a radio for a change!

Hi, Dr. Gaz

I just acquired a 93 XJ40 with original radio (no CD changer installed) and like you am interested in getting modern connectivity- Bluetooth and USB.

How was the wiring from the original to this Alpine? Plug and play? Mods?

Thanks and again, thanks for the photos.

All the Best

Rick

Wiring was difficult. It was all manual. Identifying wires from diagrams. The radio came with a wiring loom that plugs in the back but the rest is done by hand. You need the CD with the manuals for the car, and it took me some time before I found the right wiring diagram. There are so many.

Rick - last year I installed a Kenwood KDC-X599 I sourced from Crutchfield. My original Alpine head unit worked fine but I wanted hands-free mobile phone connectivity. The KDC-X599 has Bluetooth, USB, CD (single), 1/8" phono input (iPod and the like) and is Sirius satellite capable with an optional kit which I did not purchase. A remote is also provided. On eBay I found a wiring adapter that plugs into the vehicle’s connector and wires to the Kenwood-supplied connector so no butchering of the vehicle’s wiring was required.

s-l500

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yesterday I was able to restore function to the power antenna, now we start shopping for a modern Radio.

Regards

Rick

Hi, Mike

That’s great news. Thanks for getting back to me. We have had the car a week now and so far so good. The antenna wouldn’t budge but I gave the little motor some physical therapy and lubed the other moving parts and now it works as it should.
That Kenwood looks good, I like the actual volume knob.

Regards

Rick

nexxia.co.uk have Jaguar->Standard->Alpine (or whatever) adapters so wiring can be plug and go.

They also have faceplates to fit a standard sized radio into the xj40 dash.

I have an alpine similar to that shown above. Works perfectly. The two inline cable adapters just plugged together and the whole thing installed in minutes.

Demian …

Here’s the radio replacement I did about 8 years ago. You can see where I blended in the plastic around the radio for a more built in look.

Going one step further I added remote control for volume and channel change
on the steering wheel.

It may look a little pieced together inside the wheel pad, but it’s worked perfectly since I put it in !!

2 Likes

That looks great!
You’re insane…i love it.