Radio Speaker Recommendation for XK 150S

The restoration of my 1958 XK 150S OTS, S830975DN, is nearly complete - many thanks to readers over the years for advice and support. Bill Bassett will be completing the installation of the interior soon. I hope to be driving it at the end of September.

I have had a correct Radiomobile 500 updated with modern innards from Vintage Wireless and would like to install a modern speaker in the original location behind the grill in the LH cubby.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a manufacturer and source for such a speaker. As always, many thanks.

Jim

Jim,

The original loudspeaker was a round Radiomobile speaker with part number RM.3600. It fits in place of the glove box indeed and you’ll require a chromed or aluminium grille. See the pics below of the original Radiomobile Installation Instruction.
Don’t know the exact diameter of this speaker but if you have a good look at the surrounding panel of the glove box, the maximum speaker diameter will become clear.
I tried to find a period loudspeaker for my XK 140, so I cannot help you with the choice of a modern replacement speaker. But on basis of the given diameter you should be able to find one. Original Radiomobile radios require a very low impedance speaker, but I guess Vintage Wireless has provided you the correct required impedance for your modern version.

Good luck,

Bob K.

Wow! My 58 is much earlier than yours S830134, also a OTS in the midst of restoration. Where are you mounting your radio?

Len Wheeler

Tucson

Hello, Len,

I’m mounting the radio under the center of the dash, via two brackets, which accompanied the radio from Vintage Wireless in England. I’ve included (I hope) a web link to a great article on the evolution of Radiomobiles. It shows the placement towards the end of the piece:

http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/13-electrical/radiomobile-radios-for-jaguars-1948-to1961/ http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/13-electrical/radiomobile-radios-for-jaguars-1948-to1961/

I purchased this car in 1974 and it was my regular conveyance for many years (ah youth). The Jag’s date of manufacture was July 15, 1958. In 1991, Ms. Jackie Llewellyn of Chassis Records, Jaguar Cars Ltd., wrote to advise that it was the “974th made in this particular chassis number range”.

By extrapolation, I would expect that your car is the 133rd XK150 made, very early indeed.

Best of luck in your restoration! I would be delighted to provide any help I can.

Jim

Bob,

Thank you so very much for providing such detailed and helpful information. I hadn’t realized that the loudspeaker replaced the glovebox compartment- which makes sense. So I will keep the one we have had made up for the cubby for potential future use.

As you noted, Vintage Wireless put modern electronics inside the radio while keeping all appearances true to original, so I will have to check on the impedance required. They also sent along a proper grill.

I’m hoping that most of the “music” that we will be listening to will be the sweet sounds of the engine and the Jag in action, but will enjoy listening to the BBC (we get here in Amherst, MA, twice daily) through a correctly installed radio system!

All the best, and thanks again,

Jim

Len Jim. I read with interest your radio install issues , I also have a 150 ots , 830933 built 10 July, I removed my old Radiomobile many years ago as I could never hear it with the wind and engine noise, it also took forever come on as it had to warm up as it had tubes. The speaker was installed under the dash in the cover facing down and out of view so that the cubby hole left of driver was still usable.
Len I would be interested to know what your engine number is , probably V-3xxx.
Regards Morris

Morris,

Looks like your car was manufactured (which, I think meant “despatched” from the factory 5 days before mine) and was 42 cars earlier - a pretty hefty production pace, it appears. My car’s numbers are: Chassis: S 830975 DN; Engine: VS 1168 - 9; Gearbox: JLS 40969 JS; Body: F 15968. First Dealer: Jaguar Cars of New York.

All the best,

Jim

Morris

My engine number is V-3412, built 19 March 1958.

Len