Radio Wiring Diagram

I purchased an aboriginal Jaguar radio a few years back on eBay and now plan to install it in my E-Type. Although not period correct it looks way better than any of the new ones. When I bought the radio I was told it was from an XJ6 1983 to 1988. I am looking for a wiring diagram for this Jaguar AJ 8600 radio.
Oh, is this radio any good from a sound perspective? what about the cassette player? I also plan on booking it up to an amp. Thanks

Man thats a rare one :slight_smile:

Sheeesh! Darn spell correct! That is a rare radio! Maybe original would be more accurate and appropriate. Sorry

1 Like

Knew it would be that all seeing all correct ‘Autocorrect’

Hello Phil - go to the XJS list, do a search for “radio wiring help” (dated FEB 1), and scan thru the posts - there are some pics of the connector colors and the back of the radio label - there are posts of the connection wiring, and if I remember correctly, also a pdf for the wiring on an XJ (about halfway through the posts) - also some posts referencing fuse location - hope this will help you on you XJ - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 5/13/2020 0133hrs. EDT USA.

Sorry to disappoint you Phil, but the aboriginal Jaguar radio, as much as I like originality, just plain sucks sound wise
 at least with today’s standards.
Nevertheless, booking it with an amp might make it sound slightly better.
It’s a very robust radio however, but you will definitely need to change the belts, and IIRC it has three.

As I am an obsessive audiophile, I chose a very simple looking period Blaupunkt head unit with true balanced pre-out, and a class A Focal 4x75W amp. I also added a small sub.
And of course, I changed all the door speakers, added two mid-range and four tweeters.

Radio Wiring Schematic

Thanks for the help guys!! Much appreciated. I did a search earlier but clearly didn’t have the right list.
That photo of the wiring designations is exactly what I was looking for!
Cheers and thanks again
this forum is such a great help!

Phil,

the Jaguar AJ8600 (should be DAC5574) is a digital Alpine 8600
grafik
. Period Alpines weren’t bad, maybe a bit underpowered. In fact, I’ve got an Alpine 7179M in my XJ and am quite happy even with the two stock door speakers. Things may have become worse when Jaguar switched to Clarion head units like these

Both seem a bit over-eighties in an E-type, for my taste that is. Recently, I got a Blaupunkt Wien equipped with separate 4x20W Blaupunkt BQE power amp. When new in around 1980 it must have been about as expensive as my Spitfire, but it fits nicely from its look

grafik

It has a cassette player as well, but I don’t really care to get it working again 
 would probably spoil my sweet memories!

Good luck with hooking up the Alpine!

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)