Radius Arm Mount Repair Panel - any good supplier known?

Hi everybody,

After a long waiting last week I received my 1988 (actually manufactured in 1987) Hess & Eisenhardt convertible from USA. This would join my existing 1984 coupe

One of the worst things the car has is that after the transportation via ship, trucks, etc, ups and downs, etc the left radius arm mount together with a piece of the floor panel are hanging under the car. The floor panel itself in not in great shape as well.

After a first look it seems clear I need to repair this before bringing to the MOT here in Romania.

Do you know who can supply a repair panel for the radius mount and also from whom you bought a floor panel that was working well for you?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Dorin

Whew, I had an idea or two, then realized you were in Romania and the sources I had in mind were here in the USA.

So, that leaves me with only one. Have one made locally., In situ or welded in after forming.

Way back when, a former lister here made one in situ. Teddykan was/is his user name. An archives search might find his posts.

the art is in the shape of a shallow turret. His formed with triangular strips of metal bent to shape and MIG welded. His day time job was as a nucleur engineer! Vessels there made ins similar fashion.

Carl

In the USA, most people would haul a car like that to the junkyard. In a fit of poverty, I did repair my 83 XJS that had an identical problem. The only part I bought was the radius arm mount itself, Which I got from SNG Barratt. It was something like $80 USD. When the mount came off the car, it brought with it a chunk of the U-shaped chassis frame. I ended up cutting back the chassis frame and welding in a homemade U-shaped repair panel. I did not replace the entire floor, just the rusty bit with plain sheet metal. I’m no expert welder and it has held up fine.

If you plan on having this repair done professionally, let them worry about the chassis rail and the floor. It is possible the radius arm mount Is reusable, if you can get it out of the radius arm. The radius arm mount itself is much thicker metal then the chassis rail it is welded to.

-John

Thanks John,

The car looks well generally and although does not run great yet is still a low mileage for the age. Imagine that I imported the car from USA. Would be crazy to junkit here!!

However it seems more and more that I have to learn welding! Today another friend told me the same - he had to learn welding because the welder he used was not available!

I did some work o internet today and found this on ebay UK - bought left and right as the price was too good to eventually prepare other panels locally

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-JAGUAR-XJS-RADIUS-ARM-CHASSIS-REPAIR-PLATES-N-S-L-H/112480196462?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I will also buy the mounts for both sides from SNG Barratt (35 Euro each = 40 USD approx) and also the floors (another 200 USD for 2 floors). For the rest I will let the welders do the job as you suggested. The floors because would like to stay as original as I can and they have that special shape a local can’'t make.

Will keep you updated and thanks again for your good suggestions.

Dorin

1 Like

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the message. Any idea from USA is welcomed. Transportation and customs is no big thing in our days.

Cheers,

Dorin

Donn:

I see that you have better answers.

But, the sources I had in mind are in order of priority:

1.David Boger’s everydayxj. North Carolina location. He has a side business on good used and NOS Jaguar parts. Good guy posts here from time to time. Google for more.

1. Jaguar Heaven. Located in Stockton, CA. Many old jaguars of all ages being parted there.

These sources would get you a healthy chunk of the floor cut from a parts car.

Carl

Options
UK - Jagspares - David Manners
USA - EverydayXJ.com - David will ship internationally if you’re willing to pay for it.
USA - Jaguar heaven I don’t have any experience with the folks

Other than search breakers yards, I’m with @Cadjag I don’t have any suggestions closer to (your) home; other than David Manners. You may have to email them cause I didn’t see anything in the list of parts. this is a common problem, and the end result is a scrapped XJS (as I’m sure you’re aware). Other than that contact a local machine or metal shop; and have one made $$$.

There’s also a remote possibility you could use a section of rear floor pan from a XJ car.
I did that on the fronts one time. I did not use the complete floor pan but just the area that was rotted out you’d be surprised how similar the area in question is. My suggestion is exactly that a suggestion if you cant get the original you’d be surprised how often that has been done when the original isn’t available

A good number of the components between an XJ saloon and the XJS are interchangeable.

Thanks,

Using XJ parts. Hmm this might be a chance later.

For the moment I stay with what bought from ebay(radius repair plates) and SNG Barratt (floors and radius mount) and wait for a professional (hopefully Friday is coming over) to have a look at the car.

Most probably after starting to work some other parts will be required.

Will update if I source something more and if the part from ebay is really what required for the work.

Best and thanks,

I know Manners and is easier and little cheaper for me from UK (cheaper transport and no custom 7% approx).

For the other 2 sites look well. I wait for the welderprofessional to see what he needs.

Thanks,

Dorin

Just in case you need I found this guy in UK https://xjspanelshop.co.uk

I will order some panels (rear wing repair left and right and also sill repair rear).

Will update how the panels are.

Dorin

also try David at everyday XJ. David is a really good resource. If he doesn’t have it, he usually knows a resource. A shout out to Dave at Everyday XJ!! :wink:

1 Like

Update on XJS panels:

Sills and base of rear quarters - as said the panels bought from https://xjspanelshop.co.uk
Installed easy good seller communication and looks well on the car. Replaced base of rear quarter and most of the left sill. Welder said that fit perfectly and are of good quality.

Floor and all around the radius arm - floor I got from sngbarratt and 2 panels on each side for the radius arm mounting from ebay (last ones I think),

Work here was extensive but I have to admit that is easier than I was expecting to fix a radius arm area with a good guy doing the welding. All area was rotten of the left side but he replaced the panels and floor all looks great now - like new.

So what to say - is possible to save an XJS with issues at the radius arm mounting and would cost normally only around 1500 Euro (1700 USD) - parts and labor included (new spray/paint excluded).

Best,

Dorin

1 Like

Great link, wish I’d known. Made my patch panels by hand with bondo filling the gap between skills and desired results!