Rain water leaks

90 xjs coupe

So this old car has sat inside and seldom seen rain the last 5+ years, till this week where it’s rained about every day, sometimes quite hard. The front floors are soaked. Last week before the rain they were soaked from a clogged AC drain, took care of that and they are both draining now. Had a really hard half hour rain and I saw water splattered on both chrome door sills forward and it had migrated down into the front floor padding. Pulled all them and overnight it’s rained again, and is still raining, and will be for the next week most likely, and water continues to enter. I can’t really find anywhere more than a few inches up that is wet. I’d assumed it was the door seals but I didn’t see the splatter on the door sills this morning, just more water in the floor on both sides. I’ll check but I doubt the cowl drains are clogged as the cars never been under trees or such to collect debris. Anything else other than a windscreen seal that would leak in the rain with the car stationary?

Check that the two cowl drains are clear. With a car that has spent 5 years in storage perhaps some rodents got up inside and clogged them up with nesting material.

Paul

Check behind the A pillar chrome covers.
There is a drain channel behind them that can clog.

Could also be the windshield seal leaking. Either seal to glass or seal to body.

Seal to glass is easier to eliminate as you could use blue painters tape around the seal to the glass to eliminate a leak there.

Seal to body requires removal of all the chrome around the windshield, which would also let you check behind the A-pillar chrome as Stephen stated.

I had a leak on my XJ40 that was causing the rear foot well to fill up, turns out it was coming from a rust hole in front of the windscreen on the drivers side (RHD) in line with where the wing fixings are.