RB340 Lucas voltage regulator

Hi all

I have one of these, NOS , still in it’s sealed bag and box. I’m just not sure what it goes to? Would it work on my 68 with Lucas alternator?

If not, is anyone interested in it?

Thanks
Robert

Pretty sure thats for a generator not alternator.

If is a regulator, it’ll likely be a spare from my Rover…photos?

I think there are two varients of this one that is 30 amps which would work with a 62-64 etype, and another which is 25 amps? I think that was used on later Austin Healey. If I’m not mistaken there would be a sticker or stamp on it denoting the amperage. If a 30 I’d be interested.

It’s got a sticker on the underside of “22A”

Could be wrong but I don’t know of a jag that it fits. Just Google 22 amp RB340 and you’ll find a list of applications.

If it’s a genuine Lucas, it’d be salable on eBait: cheapo Chinese ones are selling for -$25.

All RB340s have same internals, it is just the callibration on the current cut out coil that varies. Adjusting this is easy if you have an ammeter that covers the rating you need!

Original Lucas documentation on calibration is available on the web.

It is safe to use a regulator callibrated lower than the max your generator can output - it will just limit the output. Not a problem unless you drive in the dark with all electrics on for long periods :wink:

Regards
Clive.

The Lucas RB340 came in 11, 22, 25 and 30 amp versions, all indistinguishable from each other and Jaguar used the 22 amp version on the Mk II 2.4’s. The 30 amp versions were marked as such at the Factory with yellow crayon to avoid confusion on the line:
75v2yXo

Concours cars should have the 30 in yellow crayon.

David

This thread has solved a problem for me. I’ve had these 2 NOS reg’s for a few years, but didn’t know the amps/application. There’s no spec on the box.

I looked again, and there’s the crayon.Thanks David!

I’ve sold the car, and there were not correct for it anyway.

I’d be happy to sell for whatever’s fair.

Thanks,
Rob

Let me know what you’d like. I’m still running a genny and I think the aftermarket one on mine isn’t working right.

Hi Rob
if you still have any of this regulators, i would be interested in getting one from you…

Herve, welcome to J-L.

If you click on Rob’s name above his last post you’ll be offered a blue box that says ‘message’ and you can send him a personal message in case he doesn’t happen to see this thread.

I cannot recall if new members have to wait a day or two before they can do a PM but I guess you’ll find out.

Hi
Thanks for your help… at this point i am not able to send him a private message…

i too am interested
ed

Hello,

I thought this thread had long-gone.
I sold both reg’s to Erica,
Thanks,
Rob