Re-dyed the seats

I just finished the re-dye of the seats in the
'71 XJ.

Now to find some Ascot Fawn paint for the exterior chips and scrapes.

Cheers,

Rob

7 Likes

Nice job, what products did you use?

Hahaha! Now there’s a nice setup. :slight_smile:

A truly magnificent job, Rob.

Robin, Bob,

Thanks for the complimets.

I used Leatherique products. I am the Canadian distributor.

I usually don’t mention this lest my post be thought to be a plug for the business. But, as Bob W. has coyly “outed” me, I’ll come clean. I am after all a Jag-Lover first.

This is the second time I’ve owned this car. The fellow I sold it to moved up to Lambo’s, Aston’s. and Ferraris, so was surplus. I had offered to dye the seats for him, but he declined, and the car sat unloved.

I was grateful to find here the codes from modern paint suppliers to make the Ascot paint. I’m off now to a paint shop to see if they can make a small batch. I really need some, as there’s about 20 noticeable scratches and chips, that really bring the car down.

Good luck to all,

Rob

Now I get the ‘set up’ quote :slight_smile:

Rob: Congratulations of a first class job, extremely well done. I recolored my seats many years ago and have told this story several times since.

Color stripping of surface died leather is really an interesting process. The instructions have you put alcohol on the old color and then scrape the old color off. I was somewhat uncomfortably scraping the leather, having scolded the kids countless times about not damaging the leather.

I was surprised quickly the color came off. I did the rear seat first and really got into the job. When completely clean, I took a step back and looked at the formerly black seat which was now a pale gray/green color. Surveying the results, I said to myself “That looks like a dead body!”

It was then that I realized the truth about what I was looking at.

Lou

1 Like