Re: The Pub - Some Hard Questions (if Dared to be Answered)

“I am a little curious as to your understanding of it being “self-owned” by members, which would also erroneously imply that you yourself have contributed to the cost of keeping it all running.”

Delicately put!

7 Likes

Some websites are choked with so many pop up ads they are unusable.

1 Like

In the discussion of “ownership” I have to suggest the view as custodianship as is often suggested on JL for our possession of our old cars. Most of us have found that pushing the limits will break things. Too much torque, too much talk.
Some of this censorship discussion could open the door to religious debate. What kills more people than politics and religion?

1 Like

Where one ought to at least have the decency to respect the rules of the forum as set forth by the owners/administrators.

4 Likes

Speaking of rules, I quote from Item 1 in our Terms of Service:

You must use your real name to register an account. Anonymous accounts are not allowed, nor are accounts registered under a false name. You may not share an account with someone else. Each person using this service should have their own, personal account. Older accounts, created before the move to the Discourse forum software in November of 2016 are not grandfathered under this rule. If you’re using such an older account under a false name or no name, please change your account preferences immediately to reflect your real name. Please note that you are still free to use whichever username you want, as long as the “Name (Your full name)” field is filled out correctly.

If you feel your personal safety could be compromised by using your real name, please apply to one of the admins for permission to use a pseudonym.

Please take care of this immediately.

Gunnar

2 Likes

O.K., finally a complete and sensible answer. Thanks Nick for the link to the “about us” article. Every member should read that “bio” when they have some time, IMHO, as there are probably a lot of us who wondered how JL came about and where it came from up to now. :smiley_cat:

Agreed in full, Lluis. :smiley_cat:

Yes, FYI, I have contributed to JLers before. Even had the badge for it and all. :triumph:

Oh great, so now it turns on me … :roll_eyes: Why did this “issue” not come up - despite all these years - until now?

I will provide my name to the account, but not to be displayed for public view. There ARE privacy laws out there, and they trump any “private rules”. Agreed? :confused:

FYI, this is what it shows on my “account”:

Username

AttyDallas

People can mention you as @AttyDallas

I don’t see any method provided to change that info. :confused:

Atty, you’ve listed your cars where your name should be. In your profile you can see your username. Below that is “Name”. This is where you would enter your name. Your cars you’ve listed twice, once in “names”, the other lower down under “my cars” in your profile.

Chris

1 Like

Like Chris said, it’s there. Click your avatar (the green circle with the letter A in your case), then click the “torso” icon, then select Preferences. Scroll down to where it says “Name.”

Shows how much I pay attention: I wasn’t even sure mine was set up that way, so I had to go look!

Thats what I had done. But I had to look to check. However, my username is my real name.

And that’s fine. If your username is your real name, please feel free to use the “Name” field for something else. The point is to not be anonymous, so the rest of us know who we’re talking to.

Thanks!

1 Like

At this point in my life, and almost all venues, and especially in this one, I think that’s generally impossible… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh, that may be a luxury some of us have, all we need to do is open our mouths and say a few words and regardless under what hat we were, most folks will know who we are, eh?

Cheers! :beers:

1 Like

You made me go look too–wasn’t sure. Hahaha, my user name IS may real name–forgot. Ah, sweet senescence.

1 Like

When I click my avatar, this is what pulls up … where is the “torso” icon?

AttyDallas

Current Jags: '94 XJS 4.0 coupe (“Superblue”) & '92 XJ-S 5.3 coupe (“Superblack”)

• 10 posts in topic

I have owned and driven various models and years of Jaguars (only) for quite some time, all bought on Ebay. The list to date: “Layla” - my black/doeskin 1988 XJ-40 VDP. My first Jag - she served me many good years. :smiley: “Stinker” - my alpine green metallic/doeskin 1988 XJ-40 VDP. Never really was able to drive her much - when she arrived…

Garland, Texas (DFW Metroplex) 3:25 pm

Posted 9 mins ago

Joined Nov 13, '16

Read 11d (15h recently)

My Cars: 2000 XJ8 - “Harlem”; '94 XJS 4.0 coupe - “Superblue”; RIP: '95 XJS coupe (“Supercat”), '88 XJ40 V.D.P. (“Layla”); '88 XJ40 V.D.P. (“Stinker”); "90 XJS coupe

Member Anniversary First Link +12 More

:confused:

Is that possible? 20