Reality check for Newbie ( would be owner of Mark II)

Do your homework before you go looking - I know a fair amount about cars of the 1960s in general so off I went looking but I got caught out when buying my Daimler 250 because I didn’t research that particular model - a big bill for fixing a small amount of rust that was showing, but went much deeper, between the rear bumper and the rear wings, and now I have to renew the crow’s feet as well!

Read everything in this forum going back years.

Go to shows and speak to owners.

If you can, buy one owned and cherished by a club member and ask other club members if they know how well the car has been looked after. And always always always buy the best one you can find and afford.

Don’t expect it to drive like a modern car - you will for ever be disappointed in this respect, but it does deliver big time in other respects.

Be prepared to work on it regularly - modern cars just drive away but cars of the 1960 need constant, albeit minor, attention to keep them happy - this isn’t because they are worn out, it’s because that’s how cars were in those days.

Don’t let anything I have said put you off; I’m trying to point out the pitfalls and if you can avoid these you will be very happy with your new toy. I got bitten by mine but I still think it’s marvellous and I’m keeping it for ever :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Agreed Worst thing you can do to a Jag is not drive it .They self destruct . Drive it like you stole it

2 Likes

A mechanics Dream always something to do on a Jag. However unlike most cars of today they were for the most part designed to be repaired by the owner at least in my opinion …

So, I should avoid cars that have been sitting for some years. Really good information, Thanks. What happens? Do all the seals dry out ? Does the fuel in tank and carbs cause issues ?

Yes, plus 20 yeses!

Sitting is hard on cars: acids form in the lubricants, antifreeze can go acidic, wreaking havoc to the cooling system.

That’s why I drive my Rover, hard, at least once a month to six weeks.

Hydraulics start to stick, the fluids go bad regardless if driven or not, electrical connections oxidize and switches and relays burn the contacts when there is too much resistance.

Regular use and regular maintenance is needed. I have had E-types for over 25 years now, the 1972 V12 I now have hasn’t been restored and I have had it now for nine summers and I am a tinker and I keep a log book as otherwise I would always think that I changed the cooling fluid and brake fluid ( & clutch) last year. When in fact it was 3-4 years ago! (But did it just this week again.)

Still there will be surprises, any component that is 20+/ 30+ / 40+ / 50+ years old may need refurbishing or replacing any day.

And yet they are so rewarding, I just love ALL the Classic Jaguars and SS’s (& Daimlers) all the way from 1932 to about 2010. Now I think the F-type is the only one I wouldn’t mind having. The rest is irrelevant to me, but all the Saloons and Sports cars they made during those 80 years do ring some bells in me. :smiley:

Cheers!

2 Likes

If you buy a car that has been sitting for years you will have to re-commission it, at least to some extent. This could, if you’re lucky, just mean changing most of the fluids but if you’re unlucky there will be hidden problems like seized brakes, blown head gasket, corroded waterways etc.

Unless you or a friend are reasonably competent and have the time and the will to re-commission it I would keep away from this.

It’s tempting because the car might look sound, and will probably be cheaper than a good runner, but be prepared for work & expense.

If that’s Ok with you then go for it otherwise find a known good one from a reputable source (not a dealer in my experience).

1 Like

Gentlemen: Thank you all for your advice and recommendations. So, I am probably looking to find a hen’s tooth… But, doesn’t mean it can’t be done ! My research will be on-going. Good opportunity to make some local connections this coming weekend as there is a big vintage British car show on Sunday. I know the Jaguar people will be there. and so will I.