Really dumb tyre question (opinions welcome)

NO Wiggler … :no_entry: I posted below, whitewalls do NOT belong on an XJS (or any other sports car, IMHO) … :face_vomiting: That technique, btw, reminds me of those “make your own letters” kits for sidewalls I have seen from time to time … Also don’t like them … Basically, if the factory doesn’t put something on a tire, it shouldn’t be there … :-1:

Aren’t we lucky that it’s a free country, and people can do with their cars what they wanna do? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I run 17”s and coach lines, I wouldn’t go any other way!

3 Likes

Adding red to the tires would detract from its already good looks.

Thank you for saying that. I agree, I thought I would ask the
question. I think general consensus, redlines are out.

Have you tried these?

1 Like

No I can’t say I have. Maybe if I had a 1936 Packard.

3 Likes

Yep … just don’t make me look at 'em … :laughing:

I didn’t think there would be enough room for 17" wheels/tires to clear, esp. on a pre-facelift. Heck, now I’m wondering if I could get away with them on Superblue. Would sure save me $$ when it comes time to (find) and buy new tires for her … :+1:

btw, VERY nice looking cat, and in my color, too. :open_mouth: Question I have is, being a Canadian :canada: pre-face lift, how have you dealt with (potential) rust issues on her? I would constantly be worrying about that up there, esp. in winter. :snowman_with_snow:

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

I don’t know … I guess I just think of whitewalls as being the tires that go on those old big sedans of the '40s and '50s era …

Speaking of colors, I have seen the latest car “fashion” of those brake pads and calipers that are painted bright colors, e.g. blue, green, yellow, red, etc. Seeing as how our facelift wheels are a bit “see through” in design, I wonder how our cars would look with a set of those on it, esp. the red ones. I’m thinking it would either make them look a little more “exotic” or kinda stand out like a sore thumb. :thinking: Has anyone put those on their cars, or seen some on others? :confused:

I am eventually going to paint mine, but I think red or yellow which I see so much is too flashy. I mean, calipers aren’t the most attractive thing on the car? IMO people do that because they want to show off how big their calipers are. Maybe they’re compensating for something else? :wink:

I will be going for a silver paint for the calipers, so they are subtle but at least don’t look rusty. And you don’t paint the pads, as far as I know!

1 Like

As to pads, I think it is Brembo who offers them in different colors … the four (?) colors correspond to the quality (and hence $$ price) of the pad set, from cheapest to finest. IIRC, the red ones are the top of the line. :triumph:

Here are Brembo pads in different colors, although I still haven’t found the four-color system ones I mentioned earlier. Maybe they are made by another manufacturer. :confused:

I’ve painted calipers the same color as the car. I think that looks nice. Agree, not thrilled with bright red or yellow just to make them the focus of attention.

I can’t really take the credit for the larger wheels, Bernard
Embden wrote an extensive article on his website.
Unlike Bernard I didn’t want to go aftermarket or be dealing
With spacers and offsets to make it work.

The other question you can probably answer yourself, about being a Canadian car and rust. This car is still wearing its original paint. It was a pampered kitty from a gentleman in Vancouver. No snow or salt. Aside from the usual complimentary stone chips an the hood and of course the
Odd door ding, I’ve held off getting it painted.
I’m a person who believes they’re only this way once.
Patina I think is the word.

1 Like

Would look good on XK

in the case of an all black xjs with chrome wheel opening trim and maybe chrome wire wheels, a small thin line whitewall might look classy, matter of taste,.

1 Like

Some sort of dull silver-gray would be nice, or the ‘cast look’ color.

Personally I like a business-like appearance on mechanical stuff. Never been a fan of excessive chroming, bright colored hoses and plug wires, bright painted calipers, and such.

The essence of Jaguar styling is conservative. It’s very easy to go overboard when making “improvements”.

Just my two cents, naturally. :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Agreed, I know you can get some high quality plug wires
In blue or in red but I try to stay away from them a little
too much bling and just look a little too much
Aftermarket for my taste.