Realm 5-speed box from Toyota Supra

I see, on Ebay, that Realm Engineering in England offer a Kit with box and needed parts for £ 2,550.
Much cheaper than the other, ”usual suspects”, solutions.
Has anyone tried it?

Hello Peder,

That looks indeed quite cheap, Does it include a propshaft?
I got the Broadsport 5-speed gearbox kit in my XK150, that one is about £ 4500.
Keep in mind that for all conversions kits you need to go to a 9 1/2 inch clutch.
In that case you need another flywheel, or you need to rebore the current flywheel ( As I did )

Regards,
Peter Jan

Hi Peder,
Yes I fitted the Realm Engineering Supra box into my 140 last year after struggling for years with the Moss box. Unfortunately the first box they gave me was faulty, had a nasty whine at idle. Adrian at Realm replaced it and contributed to the associated costs. Box comes complete with prop shaft, gear lever, bell housing adapter plate and speedo cable.
Box works like a dream and can be thoroughly recommended- as can Realm.
Ian

I have a Tremec T5 gearbox in my XK120. It is very strong as used in Mustangs, TVR’s. It also has a nice clack clack mechanic feel.
What is important is the gear ratio of 1st and 5th.
If 1st is too low, then you will be changing into 2nd almost immediately.
4th will normally be 1 to 1, but in my opinion the 5th gear should not be too high, otherwise it will be pretty useless unless you are driving at over 100mph. Normal back axle ratios give between 22 - 26 mph per 1,000 rpm in fourth gear, depending whether you have 3.77 up to 3.27.
So, some 5th gear ratios of 0.63 are far to high. Better to have 0.80.
On my car with a 3.54 diff @ about 24 mph per 1,000 = 72mph
@ 3,000 in fourth gear, but @ 72 in 5th gear is 2,400rpm.