Rear 1/4 window removal

Ok so as I have seen many times (yes I have searched and read posts) my passenger rear 1/4 window on my 1993 convertible isn’t working properly. It goes partway down sometimes and takes several tries to get It back up again. I tried looking at my CD-ROM manual, but couldn’t find anything really useful, nor did I quite understand some of the posts about it. Long story short, how exactly do I pull it out? Im guessing that I have to pull the lift cylinder to take it out right?

If you look up the topic posted about 17th Feb:

Is it an aerial problem?

You can see I just had to do some work in that area.
Your problem might be same as mine, faulty window drive motor.
In fact it was not faulty, just too much grease that got onto the brushes.
Easily fixed.
You do need to remove the cylinder because it covers one of the 4 bolts you need to take out when removing the motor assembly. That is not difficult.

Taking the window out might be more of a challenge.
I found some info in one of my ROM CDs, but it was quite sketchy.

1 Like

Ok awesome I’ll look at the thread and see. Yes I was very disappointed with the info in the service manual. It clearly shows how to remove it from the coupe, then its almost like “oh yeah we made a convertible too, I guess we should put something in about that too”. Smh

So it looks like I’m not so lucky. I got mine out and pulled the case off and it looked ok except for a black ring from the brushes. I cleaned it up and tried on a battery and it kicked a split second then stopped, then ran half a second and stopped again. I was looking to see if I could find a new one and unfortunately I did :neutral_face::hushed::open_mouth::neutral_face:.Wow they’re expensive!!! I am going to see if my local electric motor repair shop can do it for a fraction of the cost! Lol

Keep us posted on how you fare. I believe these should be simple to refurbish, so I think you’re doing the right thing!

Hold your horses.

I am at work now.

Can you put a photo of the innards on forum, and I will take a look tonight.

Not a lot to go wrong on those motors.

I decided “what the heck I’ll tinker with it”. I pulled the base off and everything looked fairly normal, although I did add a little bit of grease to the tip of the motor shaft. I then decided to pull the gear and back cover to see what I could. Hmmmmmmmm. The rubber piece was twisted and pulled up in the one spot. I looked at the way it operated and decided that it really didn’t seem to matter if the rubber was in it or not, that and I had remembered a forum post that said the same thing. I took it out and tried it on a battery. IT LIVES!!! Tomorrow I’ll put it back in and see how it goes!

Rubber piece ?
Where was that ?
Did not see anything like that in my 1/4 window.
So your motor runs OK ?
Worth using something like WD40 to clean the brush holders and brushes and check they are not stuck and long enough to do the job.

The rubber is under the back cover on the gear box of the motor. I did clean it out while I was in there. Basically the rubber acts as a cushion between the metal and the plastic gear. Mine was twisted and jamming it up. It seems like it is working great out of the car, we’ll see how it does in the car lol. Pretty easy to put back in if I decide to

Got it back together and it works kinda. Lol. It worked the first couple tries, then it didn’t come back up the third time without pulling up on it. Of course then it worked again, and then the left side didn’t go up! Argh! I may try new relays to see if it helps

Jason,

We started having problems with the rear windows in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible shortly after getting it in 2005. After struggling with it for a couple of years, and doing everything I could, I bypassed the overly complicated automatic electrical system and installed two new switches at the end of the console to operate the rear windows. It has been working nicely that way for the past 12 years. Here is a link to the pictures and information that I posted on the old Jag-Lovers website. If you search the archives you will find a lot of posts from me about this modification. I like determining when the rear windows will go up and down and not leaving that decision up to the windows. I am kind of funny that way. :wink:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1174156649

Paul

1 Like

Awesome! I was contemplating that exact same thing! I was thinking about running them off of one switch, possibly even just connecting them to the front window switch.

Jason,
Having the rear windows individually selectable has its benefits. I am glad that I did it this way as one window motor appears to be a bit slower than the other and I like the idea of the each getting the full voltage when operated.

There was room for two switches in the small removeable panel at the end of the console so I put both of them there.

Since making this modification in 2007 the rear windows have always gone up and down when we wanted them to and not when they wanted to (or not).

Paul

1 Like

That does make sense. I was kinda worried about overloading the circuit with them all on, and didn’t even think about one going slower. I’ll probably just do it your way as it seems to be the best solution while keeping them working. Thanks for the insight!

Jason,
If you are interested in getting two of the types of switches and connectors that I used please send me a PM. I sold 5 or 6 of these kits already to others but I still have some left over from my Series III XJ6 parts cars.

Paul