Rear axle sump plug removal

I am struggling to find a tool in the UK to remove the drain plug and filler plug on the rear axle. I have searched all archives and find very little to help. It looks like tools are available in the US, but I can’t find a solution in the UK.
Any suggestions??

You can get special sockets for square fasteners - plumbers and hydraulic fitters use them (sometimes).

The easiest is to us a multipoint socket which fits. The square on the filler is actually tapered, so there is a tendency to cam out, especially if the square is already damaged. If the square is already damaged I will file it down to the next size, also removing the taper on the sides of the square while I’m at it.

The last resort is to use a pipe wrench and fit a new plug afterwards. You can get pipe plugs with a hex recess.

1 Like

Hi In my notes I have written 9/16 B.S or 1/2 inch Whitworfh socket .Tap socket on hard .Good luck Gordon.

I bought a set of 8 point sockets from Sears 35 yrs ago for fittings like that. Maybe you can still get them mail order?

I have always used an 8-point socket on these:

I believe a 9/16" is the size needed.

2 Likes

I just file off the taper to square it up (doesn’t need much) to 1/2" square. Then use a 1/2" socket extension backwards (i.e. female end on the plug) with a crescent wrench or 12 point on the other (male) end. For the filler, I use a 12" plus a 6" extensions to get me out of the confines of the cage and beyond the exhaust hanger.

The 8 point 9/16th worked for me, special ordered at Napa, but they don’t stock it in stores.

Patrick
'66 fhc

Sears Craftsman brand also has 8 point sockets.

Use a long wobble extension from Harbor Freight and claw or 8 point socket. Definitely worked for me a few weeks ago.

Thank you all for your solutions
I tried the crows foot and 9/16 with no joy.
I tried the David option of grinding the plug to 1/2 square. BINGO! I hammered a 1/2 extension onto the plug and used a 15mm socket on the male end of the extension. Took a couple of attempts
I managed to hammer onto the fill plug a 17mm impact socket. I will file that to 1/2 now it’s out.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Glad it worked but I cringed a bit looking at it (since the correct tool exists).

1 Like

I agree, we’ll have to revoke Philip’s “Real Man” membership card. A Real Man never passes on an excuse to buy another tool.:wink:

1 Like

There is room for redemption if he replaces the plug with one like this (in the proper size of course).

Capture%20p

I have to come to the support of Philip. A real man will never pass up the opportunity to make up a tool even if one is already available. (As long as it does not involve losing body parts :scream:)

1 Like

one time I needed to mount the third member, which weighed 125lbs, into a truck diff housing.

so I lay underneath, placed the diff member in my groin area, arched my back to lift the part up enough to get some bolts started. (it was too heavy to lift with hands)

Ever since then, when I am copping some friendly abuse from my mechanic mates, one of my replies is to say…"I could do it quicker just using my @#$% "

on my various Jags, I seem to recall being to get the drain plugs with a 9/16" open end spanner