Rear brake cylinders 61 xke

Dear friends
I took the IRS out of car and I’m in process of reassembling brake calipers with re sleeved original cylinders from white post.
However I notice the cylinder rubber is very close ( less than 1/8 “). To the brake pad support plate. The plate edge is sharp and it looks that when brake will be engaged and rubber expands it will rub on the plate.
Has anyone had a problem here? I wonder if a real early car needs a special narrower rubber on the brake cylinder. Thanks for your insight

However after assembly of brake cylinders

Hello can some one tell how to send a picture to this forum?

Hi Andy the 7th icon along the top of your post is an upward arrow. Thi will allow you to browse your pictures and select the one(s) you wish to use. You must wait until the upload says 100% before posting, another tip is is you are posting more than one picture to insert a space between each one.

`![image|375x500](upload://vwwEkQVjiXE5yh6nYufaMMwzXXv.jpeg) `

Here is pic of cylinder rubber close to pad suppor
T plate

Nope no picture, did you wait for the upload to complete?

`

`Try again

That doesn’t look correct to me, can you take one a bit further away so that we can get a sense of proportion and orientation?

This may be better pic````

Nope :)…

I’ve never seen pieces like that, maybe some one else can chime in on these? Have you looked on the SNG Barrett site to see if/how they are fitted?

Otto, these look normal to me, nothing wrong.
These are rubber boots that you see, which are for dust protection.

I was referencing the steel covers, yes the rubber boots are normal but when the piston extends it looks like they are going to foul the steel ‘shims’

the steel plates are normally curved, maybe not very easy to see here, but they look to me correctly fitted. The rubber boot does not extend too much when in use.
At least, this is how these were fitted on my car since 2 years now and no issue.

Yes, the rubber boots when brake is engaged look like they will rub on the plate .and plate has a sharp edge. All I have to put this project together are two jaguar manuals one by Bentley and the other by Haynes but there is no details or pictures

Has anyone done rear brakes on an early 3.8 E?
I understand these cars were hand built at the beginning

Robin the part of the piston that engages the pad has two flats, one to clear the pad stop, the plate referred to, and the other diametrically opposed flat that clears the pad retaining clip.
Ralph.
The plates (pad stops) are not curved they are flat, they get bent if you are ham fisted when trying to extract worn pads.
Andy
The part of the dust seal in view has little movement, it’s the center of the seal which moves.

If the rubber seal does not extend out when brake is engaged then i should be ok . I will go as is and
Hope for years of trouble free service now that all cylinders are sleeved
Thanks for all your help

Very correct Peter, in curved I meant the sides that slide in the grooves.
Otto, here you can see the assembly if you have not seen this before:
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk/FindParts/Families/E-Type ~2F XKE/3/E-Type S1 3.8 DHC/79/BRAKING/1179/assembly/20420