Rear Brakes Cost

I’m looking to replace the brakes, rotors, and calipers on my 1989 Jaguar XJS. How long would it take to pull the replace the rear. And if I decide to have a shop do it what is the expected cost, excluding parts.

Brian, I think when I did mine, it took a day to drop the cage, and a day to replace all the brake parts, and then a final day to put everything back up. Second time, if there is one, would be faster I suppose.
If you decide to start changing other parts, like seals and bearings, then considerably longer.
What would a shop charge? No idea.

What is the best way to jack the car up to be able to get access to the rear?

I just use a typical garage trolley jack. (Floor jack.) Four jack stands with wooden blocks above each one, drilled to fit the locating pins under the car. You will need plenty of height- enough so that the cage can be lowered using same floor jack, and then rolled out sideways. Be very sure that the car has no chance of falling off the jack-stands.
I think that there might be some dimensions (height) mentioned in the Book.

I would never think that I am going to write it, but after experience of dropping the rear cage - I will.

Most of the XJS owners are keen to drop the cage and do the same things as they could do without dropping it - due to their age. If you consider the average Jaguar owner being pensioner - it is easy to imagine that laying on the cold floor under the rusty heap is not something you would do, especially when you already aware of your:

1. Arthritis (…I will crawl out, I will crawl out eventually)
  2. Hemorrhoids (…damn! I need to scratch it!)
  3. Dementia/Sclerosis (…what was I doing… Hey! Who said this?)
  4. Diabetes (…sht! I need to take my shot, right noo… -snoring-)
  5. Parkinson’s disease (… steady… steeeaadyy…)
  6. Osteoporosis (ouch!!! was that my ratchet or wrist?)

Alternative, without drop - is to do it on the ramps.

Starting from brakes, while you’re under the car. Still, loads of f-words flying around, so if you’re aggressive - make sure you have no wife or bottle with petrol in close proximity. Taking all four calipers out works the best after Hydroxyzine. You will need to envision Rubik cube in front of you. Someone made it, so keep on trying. Alternatively envision Nazis in front of you and Soviet army behind.

After completed removal - replace one ramp with jack stand, drop one radius arm and lower one hub (worth separating the radius arm from the chassic with car on the ground, as preparation: https://www.xjsbanger.co.uk/jaguar-xjs-radius-arm-separator-tool ). Replace the rotor and assemble the rest. Repeat for the other side of your water butt.

In the end - assemble the brake calipers and job done.

It is worth noting that you will have to go through the entire process above with rear cage dropped. Cage on the floor will give you more comfort, but knowing the life scenarios - you will end up with full restoration of this tiny element of your XJS…

Replacing in the workshop - you’re looking at £1000+ bill. Sometimes labour only. Workshops are not playing around. They will drop the rear cage and charge you £500 just for that…
Doing it yourself - uou’re probably looking at £350, that includes new beake rotors and refurbed calipers.

1 Like

Hardest part is the brake hose–Just cut it and replace.

I did this on my E-type a long time ago, and it was an eight hour job with all the right tools, on jackstands, in my garage. Oh, while it is down, do it all. By that I mean, I had just one caliper leaking, and merely changed that one. Next day or two, the other side started to drip! Very disappointing feeling and down she came again, and was much easier with fresh fasteners and added knowledge of the challenge. Advice? Get a quote around $2000 and hand the car over.

Janusz, you forgot bladder/prostate issues. Gotta remember to Kegel before lifing/straining.

If you’re anywhere near New Hampshire, nobody will do it cheaper than me! Next one will be my sixth… I got it down pat. -John