Rear bumper Euro conversion

Hello all,

I only vaguely remember reading a long time ago about the work to be done at the back of a Federal car, to fit a Euro style chromed bumper.

I believe it involved cutting off the protruding shock absorber and using the stump as a base to weld a bracket.

Would anyone know?

Thank you.

The only thing I ‘know’, Eric, was that US requirements were that the ‘shocks’ should absorb up to 5 mph bump, and return to previous position without bodywork damage. Above this, the shocks would be permanently deformed - and require ‘refurbishing’. Whether subjecting them to such force, draining oil for a pushback, as suggested, or cutting them off offers the best way forward - I know not…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

So, there is indeed a nut behind the muffler. Once that nut is off, the bumper shock absorbers, just pop out. That was easy.

It seems that I found a workable solution to have solid reliable fastening of the rear bumper to the car.

Got a 3/8 threaded rod, cut two large washers of different sizes from a thick aluminum plate, popped one of the washers in the groove of the orifice left by be the removed stub-shock (to center the threaded rod), the larger one is placed outside and pressed with a nut to keep the whole assembly tight, done.

1 Like

That’s fairly close to what Jaguar did, Eric!

Your front washer matches Jaguar’s original part. I’m just unsure against what part the rear nut bolts against.

Frankly, the entire chrome bumper is a quite heavy thing and should be able to help in the case of collisions. So maybe a propped in washer is not perfect.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

2 Likes

I think the thread and nuts are originally about twice the size but that looks like a very good solution!

1 Like

No - it’s more like a full match - I happened to be at the same nut just a few hours ago and it is definitely 9/16th outer flange and a 3/8th rod should be just right.

Best

Jochen

2 Likes

The 3/8" size of the rid is dictated by the sike of the hole where the stub-shock was bolted.

Re the strength of the washers vs the weight of the bumper, indeed it would probably be better to have stronger steel ones, but my hole saw could only handle aluminum.

Eventually, I’ll get strong steel ones made now that I know what to do.

I think in a rear ender you’re good but in a side impact stronger bolts could help a little bit - but it does look safe enough. The washers will just deform…

1 Like

I drilled a hole in the shock, squeezed it to length and refitted. You need to remove the afterthought US round reflector as they sre not used and will be obscured by the RoW overriders. The rectangular RoW reflectors are ‘handed’ on their tapered plinths.

2 Likes

I have the rectangular reflectors somewhere…
The over riders will probably get deleted, I don’t like those ugly things. :slight_smile:

D’accord.

Chacun a son gout……

1 Like

Eric,

the SII rear bumper is three part and without the overriders covering the seam and the bolt holding outer and center parts together will be very unsightly. Of course, you might try to install some rubber gasket and use chromed dome bolts, but if you want to have a smoother look you either have to weld and re-chrome or get yourself an early SI rear bumper.

Good luck

Jochen

I have seen photos of conversions where the overrider is replaced by one that rises about an inch above the bumper. Looks great! I tried to source them for my S1 to allow fitment of S3 taillights without having them partially blocked by the overrider., Never could find them–just photos on the old J-L site.

1 Like

I thought he got his hands on a one piece bumper and I think that should look okay but the bolt holes will show and there will be a shadow where the chrome was protected.

I could imagine a steel belt wrapping around the bumper to conceal bolt hole and gap.

1 Like

Jochen, it actually is a S1 one-piece bumper and needs rechroming anyway (will sell a kidney…).

I was thinking of keeping the bolt holes and fit reversing sensors.

I have also seen such conversion with the over-riders replaced by a pair of front bumperettes. Interesting.

Eric,

no problem if you’ve got SI bumpers! It has a very clean look without overriders.

Of course, the mounting is very different from SII three piece bumpers:

SII bumpers actually sit above the mounting points and the round mounting points even do look good whith good and clean chrome. You just might wish to replace the standard washers and nuts fixing them with stainless washers and chromed dome nuts. Don’t know how those one-part bumpers are mounted though

If you find a shop where it costs only one kidney to have it re-chromed, please let me know;-)

Good luck

Jochen

1 Like

Just for the record only the earliest S1 bumpers were one-piece, at least in the US. I had a 71 and a 73 and no such luck!

Yes, the 1 piece rear bumper looks great, but it may not fit tight enough at the forward points.

There’s no wiggle room, or adjustment that the 3 piece does.

Good luck,

Rob

2 Likes