Rear Differential Leak

With the standard diff, with or without gasket sounds good. On the later models with the speedo pickup in the cover, though, I guess adding a gasket will increase the clearance between pickup and the carrier. Enough to make a difference? I presume not. It’s something to keep in mind, though.

Just had my ‘88 differential out (with electronic speed sensor). I used a gasket on the cover and the speedo (and cruise) still work. There are multiple gaskets on the speed sensor that are used to adjust the sensor depth, although I didn’t alter mine.

Gee, a lot of thinking over what seems to me to be a straight forward thing. I’ve never removed the cover plate on a Jaguar. I did for a forgotten reason on the rear axle of my 79 IHC Scout II. Dana 44. Very similar. I used Permatex red. No leaks…

Dallas:

Your cover is cast alloy ! even better than the tin on my “Binder”. Gasket or sealer should e just fine as to leaking.

I’ve never had an issue with Fel Ppro. A quality product.

However, valve cover gaskets of most any specie can be 'tricky". I have a left over set in my shop. I was going to replace the gaskets in my daughter’s 2001 Passat. I fixed it’s run issues. But she lost confidence in the car and traded it in…

The “longish” valve cover gasket on my Jeep’s inline 6 weeps. But, about a tird of it is under the cowl. I’ll just add oil… Not seeping enough to wrestle.

Carl ,
Valve c