Rear door not opening from inside or out

Hi,

My 1973 XJ6 series 1 in final stages of restoration , rear passenger door is not opening from either inside or out ,does anyone have any tips on how we can get into the mechanisms without causing damage .

Appreciate any tips

Only way is to remove the door card to gain access at the look mechanism.
Kind of hard with the door closed…
It will be much easier if you remove the back seat.

Craig,

first route is shake, rattle and roll - just do everything to wiggle and move the stuck rod! Move the lever paddle many times back and forth as rigorous as you trust the mechanics - maybe at some point it catches and releases the lock.

If this turns out to be a dead end, take the second route: as Aristides wrote and you have access to the interior, remove the rear seat bench (really easy: two bolts for the bench, then you can take out the seat back). Then you can remove the door card and operate the lock lever from inside. Of course, you should investigate the cause of the stuck mechanism and rectify it. You don’t want to make a routine out of this …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

There is a tool called a “slim jim” that slides between the interior glass surface and the felt seal. The idea is that it engages with the pull rod. A pull up on the tool operates the latch. Locksmiths and society’s more nefarious use them regularly. FWIW.

Adding to the others’ suggestions, Craig - remove the door card on the other rear door to see what you’re up against…? There are some differences between early and late models…

The inner handle may be disabled by the child lock? The outer knob may release the mechanism, which is sticking - and a good kick may open the door?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

My guess is that the locking flap on the inside has disconnected. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s possible to get to it without removing the card.
The seat cushion might not even be bolted in, otherwise it’s the two screws from the footwell. Then the wood trim and the armrest, screws on bottom. Then pull the armrest upwards and what’s left is the glue that holds the card in at the top and then you might have enough access to the linkage without completely unclipping it, if it binds somewhere.

If it was the child lock it would work from outside.

Door cards are difficult to remove if the door is closed…The Slim Jim tool thats been mentioned can easily be replicated with a straightened wire coat hanger…bend a hook on the end…and feed in between glass and seal…remove the door card from the other door so that you can see the mechanism and know what your trying to latch onto…then bend your wire to suit …you will latch it eventually…Steve

1 Like

I just had a look and think it can be done no problem.