Rear Ended and to the Body Shop

I totally agree. My point was if someone thinks it’s not going to have history because of the way it was repaired (paintless dent repair) I’m afraid they will get disappointed.

Especially if insurance payout is involved and or accident report that involves law enforcement.

1 Like

Understand what you’re saying and hadn’t thought of that. I’m thinking any PDR would be around $1K or less, or pick your number, and insurance would not be involved. I just bought a car that I discovered (was so dirty when I got it I didn’t see) had three dents in the roof and one in a door. $500 to fix them all PDR and I dare you to show me where they were. My deductibles are generally around $1K and I think for even another $1K out of pocket, I wouldn’t bother with insurance.YMMV

1 Like

I paid out of pocket. $250 was worth keeping off any records, especially when it was the result of a Longhorn getting too nosy

Now we’re talking two different situations. The OP correct me if I’m wrong is dealing with a liability claim where you and John’s post above your post are talking not involving your insurance because you are keeping under your deductible. No record anywhere pertaining to the damage, oranges and apples not the same thing.

The OP’s situation is what the lawyers argue when they sue for Diminished value since there is a record of the accident and subsequent damage that lowers the value of the vehicle

In this particular case we are discussion damage to an E-Type for which, as I understand it, there can be no Carfax report as it predates the era of 17 character VINs. Or am I wrong…?

Wayne, we are and aren’t. If the OP already has made contact with the other fellows insurance, then yeah it’ll be on the records. If he hasn’t yet, and the cops were not called, then he might work a deal. As to diminished value from a ding, That’s gonna be a can of worms IMO opinion as the value of these cars are all over the map. Maybe @Cadjag can weigh in since that was his of occupation

1 Like

I was in no way advocating suing for diminished value, that was just my way of making my point that your situation and the OP’s were as different as night and day.

Understand regarding Carfax, but there will be records that could be found. e.g., I had a rental car stolen in McAllen, Tx back in 1996. Looking for a mortgage some 10 years later, I was questioned about a$26,000 claim that I was involved with. Took me a while to even think what it could be. Finally dawned on me. I hadn’t made any actual claim other than to Alamo regarding what had happened. But just shows the intertwined ball of information that trails you.

1 Like

I find it hard to believe considering how concerned the OP is about how this accident will affect the value of his e-type that it doesn’t at the least have a police report on file.
I think it’s admirable that two people can settle something of this nature without involving law enforcement and insurance companies, I’ve also in 40+ years in the industry seen how quickly the attempt to do so can backfire. Most people have no idea how quickly the cost for something like this can escalate.
A good example being consider the different opinions of how simple to how complex the repair on the vehicle in this thread have been depending on who gave the solution.

I appreciate all of the replies and opinions. The woman who hit me was not insured, and the vehicle behind her was in fact a local police officer who witnessed the event so there was no getting around reporting it even if I were so inclined. The woman was cited for no insurance and following too closely. I did report the accident to my insurance company fearing a huge repair bill to properly repair the car, given the cost of replacement bumpers, exhaust and bodywork. The repair is under $5K but more than I was willing to cover myself when I was not at fault. My ins company required pics of the VIN and of the damage so I’m sure there is a record of it somewhere in some system.
I am not overly angry over the diminished value, but moreso because the car has survived this long only to have an irresponsible idiot damage it. I don’t plan on ever selling the car, I don’t view it as an investment, and don’t care if it is worthless by the time I die. I will have enjoyed it as much as possible and as long as possible. It will be someone’s “garage find” at an estate sale in the future.
Mark

5 Likes

I put a much bigger dent in the side of my bonnet. I was “sure” it was going to cost lots to repair at a shop but waited until I could find a good paint-less guy for an evaluation. Most places did not want to touch it saying the steel was too thick but the guy working out of a bay at a local Aston Martin / Mercedes dealer worked it out in about an hour for $125. I am not sure what the structure is in that area on a OTS but the good guys have some very interesting tricks. I was very impressed watching his technique on my car.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

And I have an elongated dent on the top of the right rear fender where a 4” pvc fitting dropped on it while I was plumbing my last house. When I get settled somewhere, I’ll take it to a PDR guy and have him take care of it

Absolutely correct. When my wife’s BIL died I was charged by his widow with the task of selling his Audi A5 with three years left on the lease. Less than two weeks after he leased the car new it sustained hail damage, made entirely invisible through paintless dent repair done under insurance. The car was like new. I even took it to the local Audi dealership for a pre-sale inspection, including paint-gauging that indicated zero filler. It took almost three months to sell the car. Every offer I received was lowballed, citing the couple of thousand dollars’ “damage” reported in the Carfax report. In the end I sold it for $5-6K less than buyout, and that was still the highest offer. It would have been far better had he paid for the repairs out of pocket, and maybe that’s part of the point.

Just last month I sold my sister’s Dodge Caliber for her. 54,000 kms, perfect drivetrain and interior and clean Carfax report but so much rust it was well beyond passing safety inspection.

Carfax isn’t always a fair representation of condition. Minor body damage can be reversed 100% but you can’t erase the stigma. You’d sometimes think the real benefit of Carfax is to insurance companies.

1 Like

Insurance and dealer that may take the vehicle on trade in.

Yup. That same hailstorm did a number on all the new cars parked outside of dealerships - paintless dent repairs all. My bet is none were sold at a discount.

1 Like

I do not remember sellers being asked about accident damage on BAT.
Tom

Does BAT request and post vin# if so anyone viewing the sale can run a check if they’re willing to pay the fee.

BaT posts the VIN of every car, and for those that are “age appropriate” for a Carfax report also post a link to a free report.

1 Like

Well, my two bits:

Collision appraisal was small part of my former career in insurance claims. Oddly, auto cases were boring!

Here, I would call for straightening and rechroming the rear bumer and replacing the exhaust support system No pane banging and paintimg needed.

In my time, chreome bumpers were common and the shops to fiox tjhem were preval;ent. Nowadays, i am not sure,

I retired in 2005. Teh concept of diminihed value as a resiult of collision, 0 m,tter ho well repaired was in it’s infany.

I recall theree cases. a Porsche, a Ferrari and a jeep Tjhe latter was a joke. It was already in diminsihed value before the loss!!! Filthy, in and out, wornm out tires!!!

Carl.

If I were concerned about the impact of a body repair on future value even though I’m commissioning a quality, “correct” repair, I’d photograph and document the repair process.

Should minimal to no filler be necessary, documenting it visually should allay any concerns. The only impact would be if the car was a “survivor” class car with absolutely everything having come from the factory. Every other “restored” E-type has had body work done to it to some degree or another, even if only paint and primer.

Dave