Rear hatch back door seal on 1970 FHC

I bought a new rear door seal part number BD23347
image. It is all one piece. Which way up does it go in the body groove and should the join be at the bottom?. The old seal which is still on the car is probably the original one and does not have the cross section shown in the photo but it suggests that the Vee shaped end shown in the photo faces outward.

The larger lip, what you have in your photo on top is the side that faces up. The ‘flat’ gets glued down in the ‘gutter’. The ‘open’ side faces to the inside of the hatch opening. If you need a photo, I’ll send one. I just installed this on my 69 FHC

MY BAD… wrong ! The OPEN side of the seal faces out… that way the seal acts like a gutter keeping the water/rain out of the car. Sorry, addled from being under the car all afternoon…

3 Likes

I’d like to see a pic of your install please. Thanks

Let me get this straight. The seal is “U” shaped with a “V” shape on the bottom of the “U”. You are saying that the “V” shape is glued in the grove in the body and the top of the “U” faces up ( what you call the open side) and comes in contact with the hatch door when you close it. That’s the same as the seal on the rear of the passenger and driver’s doors. The join is centrally positioned at the bottom of the door …right?
It’s a little strange that the seal on the car at the moment looks nothing like the new one and I wonder why
Stuart

So my view is the flat/V shaped piece goes against the vertical edge of the metal, and that leaves the piece with the shaved edge sitting down in the gutter, leaving the curved rounded section to engage with the gate when it closes.

That’s how I have it on my car.

Correct or not here is how I have the weatherstrip on my car. Note the cutout for the drain in the first picture. The two ends meet at the latch.

Sorry but I am getting more confused. Is this right?:-1:

No: the side that’s mainly flat, that you have labeled ‘touching the hatch’, is the one that gets glued into the channel. The U shaped part faces out like an awning.

So this is different to the photos that John Walker provided. So the two sides of the “U” contact the hatch door. RIght?

Just the rounded part, that is shown on the left upper side of your picture.

I have the same issue. It is still not clear to me.If i have the U shape facing outside the rubber is clearly visable when the door is closed.
Do i do things wrong .a picture how to do it would be great!
Rgds Ron

Mmm mine is flat on bottom and pointing outwards too and it doesn’t leak or get exposed to environment when door is closed