Rear hatch hinge and latch covers re-trim

(Tim Roberts) #1

When I bought my car (S2 2+2) many years ago the interior was dark blue and in very poor condition, so I re-trimmed it entirely in biscuit.

I was left with the 3 rear hatch covers that were trimmed in dark blue vinyl and I really could not see how I could re-trim them and get a neat finish. So in the end I just stripped off the vinyl, and painted them in a colour as close to biscuit as I could find. The result was OK but over the years they have got very grubby and so I decided to have another go using flock this time.

I found a kit on eBay which comes in various colours, “light beige” seemed the closest to biscuit. All it is is some glue, and a pack of what can only be described as “fluff”. You apply the glue first, then use a puffer bottle to spray on the fluff. Leave to dry and blow off the excess.

The result? not perfect, but a million times better than before. Judge for yourselves below:

This is how the latch cover looked after hand painting 26 years ago:

This after a thorough covering with flock (looking rather like a dead gerbil):

The finished article:

All I need to do now is find the little bits of chrome plastic trim that fit round the edge (which I put safely away in storage 26 years ago) and the job’s done. It will be interesting to see how long the flock stays in place!

(69 FHC ) #2

Many here use the plastic chrome door edge guards that are available at just about any flaps. Just trim to length and push in place.

(Tim Roberts) #3

I found some “chrome self adhesive edge trim 5mm” on eBay which looks pretty good.

(69 FHC ) #4

Looks like a bulk roll of door edge guard. Maybe a little smaller in cross section.

(Tim Roberts) #5

It’s much smaller than door edge trim. It says it’s for sticking on air vents though why anyone would want to do that is a mystery! Perfect for me though.

(69 FHC ) #6

That’s a plus though. The usual door edge guards are too big, IMO, especially if used to replace the chrome trim around the shift boot.

Would you mind sharing the information on the packaging for the product you bought? I’d like to see if I can find it somewhere other than ebay (just personal preference)…

(Tim Roberts) #7

Sure thing. This is the eBay item no (UK of course): 391748221251

And this is the packaging:

(69 FHC ) #8

Thanks. I found their web site. It looks like they don’t sell directly in the U. S. , , yet.

(Robert Thomas 68 FHC ) #9

John if you find a supplier I’ll split the cost with you… mine need some help too