Rear lights etc: SII to SIII conversion options

Hello all,
I want to change the look of the rear end on the XJC. There is so much going on back there. I looking to simplfy, clean up.

This is not a new subject: I am looking for photos of conversions to choose the route to take.

The side markers, antenna, Jaguar badge and XJ6C letters are gone and will not come back. Just too much fuss.

The big SII boot plinthe will be replaced by the much slimmer (in my view more elegant) SIII one.

The rear bumper wil be a Euro model, but with no overriders.

Now, I am not sure what to do with the rear lights.

If I keep the SII set-up, with the reverse lights assemblies (and the rectangular reflectors below le lights), I have to keep the chrome embellisher that runs under the plinthe, across to the other side, otherwise the reverse light assemblies will look unfinished. It still leaves a question re the chrome surround for the license plate which I dont really like either). I’d love to see a photo of that combination on a finished car.

If I go with the SIII lights, the rectangular reflectors will not be used and I wonder what it will look like with the Euro chrome bumper. Would love to see photos.

What is out there? :slight_smile:

Here is an interesting arrangement.

Damn it is a beautiful car.

Hi,

Personally I would never do it, but maybe you know this car?

The ex owner was a loooong time enthusiast (since the mid-1960´s) who was also en engineer and did several interesting projects (including putting XJ40 mechanicals into a MK1).

Cheers!

Used to be a good website, sadly gone.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, we (Finnish Jaguar Drivers’ Club rf.) rescued what we could incl the jagclub.net domain, but the fiboy.com was registered for his one man Ltd. company aka Gmbh so there was nothing we could do about it. That XJ12C project was also published in our club magazine as well.

Cheers!

1 Like

Ah yes, FiBoy’s XJC, is a reference in many ways. What an admirable project. Thank you for rescuing his content. What a pleasure to read (again).

Where is that awesome XJC now?

I like this. And the smooth one piece bumper is stunning.

But, I must say, I do prefer the S2 rear lights, they are so iconic. This is actually working well.

1 Like

His estate. AFAIK his wife, now a widow and two sons and a daughter.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, that one piece bumper may be a PITA to fit, but it looks sublime. :smiley:

If you also decide to change the rear plinth, please sell the original one to me, the one on my XJ6C #2J50041DN is very tired and I have not found a matching one at Stoneleigh etc.

Cheers!

1 Like

Might there be some way to utilize the SII taillights yet not have to have those giant rectangular back-up lights?

I am actually thinking of keeping the SII reverse lights, but turn them (in a stealth way) into sequential turn blinkers.

Stand by… and warm up your PayPal account :slight_smile:
Prepared to pay shipping from California…? :wink:

1 Like

On my 71 I used the reversing lights as supplementary brake lights. I sourced lenses that contained red reflectors, then dyed the rest of the inside of the lenses with red transparent paint. I fit Hella (VW) reversing lights under the bumper. I plan the same mod for my current 73, but I will use small fog lights under the bumper for more brightness. Or, alternately, I may get rid of the factory reversing lights and fit a third brake light inside the cabin. The Series 3 light fits perfectly.

I currently have a Daimler S2 bootlid plinth fitted, but I agree that the Series 3 plinth is the nicest (.both contain number plate lights). I bought one, but got stuck with the different lock arrangement. Any advice for fitting the S3 lock to an S1?

1 Like

Ah, yes the third braking light. Great idea. I’ll probably do that too, drivers in California in their ridiculous SUVs are SO distracted, it’s scary…

I also just discovered that I will have to figure out the lock. This never ends hey??

There is always something solemn about the opening of the box for a NOS part.

It looks damn good! And I had to drill more holes in the trunk lid to trial-fit it.

I now also have at least 17 old holes to weld shut. Still undecided on a few of them.

And now to figure out what the hell goes inside there, so it actually also works, beside being pretty…

It’s the opening handle that goes in there.
Don’t know how the S2 set-up is but the S3 has is a second big hole, besides the lock barrel hole, for the handle’s shaft.

1 Like

Why don’t you get another, s3 trunk lid at this stage and save yourself hours of welding up and experimenting and looking for missing parts?
I‘d definitely not want the reverse lamps if going to s3 rear lights
You could even paint both lids and go back some day; only the rear lights will need enlargement so you can’t go back there. If you keep the gothic lights the s3 lid is still an idea because you can get all the parts off it for little money.

2 Likes

Might not be a bad idea, except shipping…

1 Like

I’d have to cut out the rectangular holes for the reverse lights that I want to keep. No easy solution. :slight_smile:

Then you should keep the S2 lights as well.
I like very much the way the tail light’s chrome joints the revers lights chrome.
The one without the other will not make sense design/aesthetics wise.
One thing I would like is to have solid red rear lights, or all clear, or even smoked.
I think that if they were all the same colour it would have a very nice effect.
But that’s personal taste and all depends on the “look” you want…

1 Like