Rear Parcel shelf

I always thought that the rear parcel shelf should be covered underneath, in the boot. Did Jaguar actually fit a ply board that covers the underneath of the rear parcel shelf? If so does anyone have one that they can photograph??

Not quite sure what you are asking. In XJs series 1, 2 & 3. the interior rear parcel shelf under the back window is thick card covered in black vinyl. Under this shelf is painted metal. Under this painted metal (in the boot) is the air extractor. Perhaps best to ID what model you are referring to.

Hi John, It probably is a fibreboard panel that covers the underneath where the black air extractor is, in the boot itself. fits in above the rear cover of the ECU. I am sure that it was not left uncovered and I am wondering if it was there at all.

There is a hardboard panel that fits under the rearmost lip of the extractor and at the forward end is held up by a wire brace that also holds the sound deadening pad to the rear of the rear seat… and between hardboard and extractor there is a thick matt of soundproofing.
See photo below:-

Best regards, Mike (1973 DDS S1)

1 Like

You the man Mike… I thought so… I couldn’t believe that Jag would leave this naked, another part gone walk about from when I had the bodywork restored 15 odd years ago… could you measure the panel and post the dimensions… thanks mate

Hello Mike, Its 15" front to back and 38" wide between the boot hinges/springs. Rearmost corners have a 3" by 45deg chamfer as you can just see in top left of photo.
Cheers, Mike Badger (1973 DDS S1)

Perfect, thanks Mike

not to hijack, but what’s the easiest way to reseal the air extractor?
someone make a gasket kit?
thx

One-sided foam tape?

Jay,
I repaired the air extractor tray seals in three Series III saloons and each time it was a lengthy process. All three cars had the very annoying “cowbells” sound when closing doors with the windows closed. I removed the extractor trays, cleaned up the rust, and then repainted them. Then I replaced the failed headliner material on the air extractor flaps and glued new pieces on using headliner spray adhesive and pop-riveted them back into place. I believe it took a full day or more each time and is mostly a thankless job since no one but me would even notice that I fixed them. However each time I closed the doors in those cars afterwards I was rewarded with a barely noticeable gentle “puff-puff” sounds of the flaps closing instead of the noisy “clangitty- clangitty” cowbells sound of the metal flaps hitting the metal extractor tray.
Some of my cars had their flaps sealed or glued shut when I got them but I opted to fix them properly and return them to original working condition rather than disable them.

Paul

Mike,
Since I believe that you are asking about a Series III saloon, attached are pictures of that panel in my 1990 V12 Vanden Plas. I have a CD changer mounted on it but the pictures should help.

Paul

Interesting. I repaired the air extractors on my '83 XJ-S, also a lengthy process but with the same results: Nice puff sounds when closing the doors rather than a clatter.

So, when I got the car, you’d get two sounds when closing a door: A clatter from the air extractors, and a jingle from the inboard brake discs. Eventually cured both.

Thanks Mike, looks like I shall be asking the Jag scrappers to see if they have one… thanks everyone for your help.

It’s just a 2 - 3mm pressed cardboard cut to size, any hardware store for a fiver.
And if you want to be fancy just paint it, or even better, cover it with vinyl.

1 Like

Mike,
I checked the storage cabinets in my garage and I had two of those Air Extractor Tray Insulation panels (BAC2738) that I removed from my Series III XJ6 parts cars. I just listed one on eBay with a lot of pictures that might be helpful to you. Just search eBay for “Jaguar BAC2738” and you will find it. I realize that the shipping costs from California to the UK would make it prohibitively expensive, but you might find the pictures of the panel helpful. Here are two pictures that might help you the most since I believe you have a Series III XJ12.

Paul

Thank You Paul that’s perfect, I have some thin gauge ply and lots of sound proofing foam, will now use your photos and make one myself…

1 Like

Cowbells!
Exactly. My XJ6 series III does this and it has been driving me nuts for years. You have given me direction- and hope.

BudFox,
Search the Jag-Lovers archives for “cowbells” and you will find a lot of helpful information from those like me that had this problem, and what they did to fix it. As usual there are a range of options of how to deal with this. I took the hard way by removing the extractor tray, removing and replacing the old damaged headliner material on the flaps, and cleaning, sanding, and repainting the air extractor tray before reinstalling it. This way it functions as designed to help keep the cabin air fresh and reduce outside noise. Others simply removed the flaps or glued them shut.

Paul

I fixed the problem today. Very satisfying and I think the fix, while not elegant, will last a long time while preserving partial function of the purpose of the air extractor flaps.

I removed the six bolts to the air extractor but found that I would have to remove the hatch motor to slip it out, which would entail taking out the back seat. There were a couple of smaller nuts (11 mm) that I removed off the boot lid that might have been holding the extractor tray in place, but things still seemed still pretty tight.

Then I saw the horizontal vents beyond which were the tops of the four flaps. The enemy! I hit them through the vents will a screwdriver and there was the damn cowbell noise. Then I thought of a solution.

To make a long story short, I cut off very short pieces of garden hose and, with the help of a flathead screwdriver, jammed them through the vents and directed them downward enough to physically stop the cowbelling. If the pressure differential is great enough, the flaps should still function, but the repeated striking of the flap plate itself should stop.

The fix seems to work well, And if the cowbelling starts again, I can easily access the vents and jam more material.

So not an elegant solution, but not sheer butchery either. And I saved myself a ton of work.

Now on to the AC!

The ‘cowbells’ of course sounds by metal to metal contact as the flaps moves to close after opening, BudFox - and the proper remedy is to refurbish the felt lining. The function of the flaps is to ensure that air cannot be sucked back into the cabin when closed - and only opens with overpressure in the cabin. While the ‘cowbells’ themselves are just irritating - they don’t mean that the flaps are not working as intended. Your description seems to indicate some restriction of flap movements - which may be counterproductive for their proper function…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)