Rear reading lights

Thanks Paul, Svante and David,

for the investigative action! I’m impressed by your readiness to tear precious car interiors apart just to tell me what I could have been expected to find out myself - you’re incredible!

Svante’s results show that despite the lacking console and the different setup of cantrail and C-pillar trim the basic construction has remained the same with one long screw going through the trim and into the last of the box sections shown in David Womby’s picture without backing plate or steel insert.

As for the SIII cars Paul’s pictures make it obvious that there must have been mounting patterns to make sure the three screws hit the three holes in the metal of the trim carrier (or the holes be drilled through from inside first). David’s picture showing two short bolts with nuts indicates the SIII lamps were fixed to the trim prior to mounting of the trim piece. The same adventure for me with the SII cantrail …

As for the power I’d hope with David Jauch that there be a wire - but that maybe wishful thinking … the wiring pattern for XJ6 describes front and rear fog lights, even a trailer socket, but no rear reading lights. Maybe this is really strictly VdP! If there is a wire it needs to be very nearby as the reading lamp carries only approx 4 inches of wire up to a male bullet connector.

It’s getting warmer now and I’ll be checking over the weekend … will report back

Thanks again

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Remember there are always the brochures still on the old website for reference. I checked at the start of the thread because I didn’t recall the trimmed piece over the chrome bases. It is there in the 1986 catalogue but my DD6 was an 84 so I’m not sure now.

one wire might be a purple colour thats it runs along the frame where the trim is fixed …its a male push connection on S2 DD6 it passes though the wood AND A LITTLE BLOCK the trim is made of…

Is there any more for sale anywhere I need 1 ,but might as well take two 1978 Daimler S2 VDP Double six.thank you Beckenham Kent

I installed one of those once – in a non-Jaguar. Straight outta JC Whitney.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362927066341

Thanks Kirby,

having owned a Spitfire 1500 for the last 36 years I felt fond memories creeping up when I saw the Vanden Plas reading lights for the first time.

Unfortunately, the mounting is different. The VDP SII light has a wide chrome basis with three pins

(SIII has a narrower basis, but wil use a chubby plastic lower part, probably introduced for safety reasons), the generic reading light has only one large pin as shown in your pic.

So I’m still after one more original not as expensive as a Flos Arco …

Thanks again

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

One could get away with making a little plate to allow sheet metal screws but more importantly, the lamp is nice to see, but XJ lamps are still all over the wrecking yards in england for less :slightly_smiling_face:
Cool to see that this was not a special lamp.

Hah! Didn’t even notice that! The one I bought from JC Whitney had the 3-screw flange mounting. Looking around online, I see there is also a 2-screw flange version. Whatever, the point remains: These parts are not unique to Jaguar.