Rear screen reseal - mk2

I changed out the rear screen seal on the w/e. The Jaguar Mk2 ROM calls for the “blind cord” method: offering up the screen wrapped in the seal to the void - difficult on your own when working the cord from the inside. I did it singlehandedly working the screen into the void, having wrapped the new seal around the turned up edge on the car. Just a data point if anyone is interested. Paul

That’s impressive Paul. I did it on my own but resorted to poking and prodding with any tools that were near to hand. Not an enjoyable task.

I should note also that the aftermarket seal was compliant and a great fit! Blue masking tape is to manage the final bead of sealer. Unfortunately no identifying marks on seal to pass on. Yes Phil, not an easy task. Paul

just to clarify my confusion…did you 1) mount the seal on body, then inserted the glass?..or did you 2) wrap the seal on glass, and then insert the lot on the body flange?

This was one of the few tasks I got a bloke in, he does it every day, and my panel beater mate sub-contracts him, so that tells you a lot. He really struggled with my aftermarket seal, which came as a continuous length from Old Auto rubber.

I also choose to attach my chromes using the same silicone he used for seal and rubber

He only charged $80 cash to do it in my driveway. He did seal first, then glass

I have fitted other windscreens using the cord method

He did not use the cord, but forced the glass into place with his hands and a strong plastic stick.

The amount of force he used to press the glass down was not something I could have done, even if I wasnt too scared, he had enormous thick arms, and was straining & sweating

Hi Tony - option (1) - took about 3 hours including trims and clips. Much easier working the screen into the mounted rubber from the outside IMHO. Would do it again. Did both screens on the bride’s XJ6, with the brother in law. Paul

Paul, thanks that was a big help. We successfully pulled both front and rear glass without a hitch. The “rope” or cord method, for reinstallation, is also on YouTube. They comment that it is imperative that the cord be tucked as far inside the rubber as possible.

Really pleased it was of assistance.

Hi,
question: did you put the chrome in rubber before or after you put the window in place?
BR/Johnny

Chrome goes in after window is fitted…Steve