Rear shock replacement

I have purchased the shocks which are KYB and they came without any of the insulators etc that I may need to complete the job. Will I need new spring insulators top and bottom ? and anything else the forum considers advisable when the job is being done.I have a price of $280.00 cad, and the s/l was removed years ago . Thank you

I don’t know what your VIN or Model year is but whatever it is you should get new foam bits and bushes for the top, there isn’t anything replaceable at the base. Refer to the parts diagrams online for part numbers etc.

Larry its an 89 sov 3.6.

OK! Put your VIN and MY in your profile card for next time, then we can click on your icon and find out - click on mine to see what I mean …

What you’ll need to replace to do a proper job.

56%20PM%20copy

15 - upper isolator CBC 225760

5 - spring isolator (foam "donut) CAC 944960

14 - guide bushing CBC 2933

13 - lower isolator CBC 225455

Remember that the road spring that came with the self leveling system is NOT the recommended spring to use with the conversion, although it will work it is softer than the replacement.

Also the spring/damper mounting (Top Hat) #7 has a different size hole in the top on the SL system than the smaller hole on the conversion. Again it will work but the upper bushings will wear out quicker because of the added movement it allows.

Thank you Dennis,the S/L system was removed by Jaguar 27 years ago because of my complaints about unreliability and 3 repairs during the warranty period. I have been using Monroe since then. The “top hat” came with the new KYB shocks. I will get the balance of the items . Thank you . John

John …

You’re more than welcome … I’ve owned my '89 for 28 years and if I read your post correctly so have you ! Are we in fact kindred spirits :grinning:

I hate to ever spend another man’s money but once you go to all the trouble of removing the rear shock assembly I think it’s false economy not to replace everything that wears out that you can. Because if you don’t the odds are you’ll be revisiting that project before long.

Over the past (almost) three decades I’ve replaced those rear shock assembly perishable items 3 or 4 times, so they’re certainly not built to last.