Rear shocks breaking - 1971SIII 2+2

Does anyone have a S2 and S3 Boge shock to compare the tops to see if there is a difference…if there is it may just be as simple as the wrong ones being fitted due to supplier, labels etc…Philip…do you still have the damaged shock…is there a part number stamped on it to tell if its correct for S2 or S3…Steve

Steve, I believe that those Boge shocks are made in a similar manner to which my Bilsteins were made - by taking a standard shock and then modifying to the coil over configuration as required by a Jag. Only difference is that with the Bilsteins, the damping characteristics can be tuned to suit the car whereas most standard shocks are not adjustable.

I can tell you that the distance from the centre of the top shock mount to the surface where the the spring presses against (at the top) and the thickness and diameter of that flange is crucial. All these parameters affect how much it will interfere with the cage - if at all.

I do have the original set of Girlings for this car (Not sure why previous owner thought to change them anyway) and I took some measurements from these and they are as follows:

1. The distance from the centre of the top mount hole to where the spring presses against the top flange is 35mm;
  2. the top flange is 78mm in diameter and 4.6mm thick.

I got rid of those Boge shocks by donating them to a local scrap metal dealer. They were of no other use.

Hi Philip…I went to a hillclimb event today that was organised by SNG…i discussed the problem with there top technical guy…i will link him to this post and he told me that he will investigate the problem…shame that you dont still have the damaged Boge they would have been good to get some measurements from…will keep this post updated… Steve

That’s excellent news!

Well, I have a collection of broken Boge shocks that I’d be more than happy to donate!

Jeff MacGregor

Hi Jeff…will see what SNG come up with and get in touch if they need photos/measurements…in the meantime let us know if your problem was the same as Philips…the shock hitting the cage… Steve

I’ll let you know what turns up. The shocks let go about
120 miles from home but fortunately about 20 miles from
a very well known Jaguar restoration shop here in rhe NE
US. So I’m on their schedule…they said they can get to it
this week.

Jeff

So, what was the outcome of this story Jeff?

Not entirely sure Phil. I switched over to Gaz shocks over a year ago and no issues so far. An inspection of the IRS sub frame showed evidence of interference with the IRS sub frame with the upper flange on the Boge shocks I was running,. There is a slight rotation of the shock when the suspension is unloaded and my guess is that every so often this rotation was enough to cause the upper flange of the shock to hang up on the IRS sub frame when the suspension was loaded again causing the shock shaft to snap under the load. The flange on the Gaz shocks are not as large as the Boge shocks so I assume that must have been the culprit. I’ll stick to that theory unless I experience another failure!

Jeff