Rear suspension inner wishbone installation advice

I’m installing the rear suspension inner wishbone. The service manual recommends using dummy shafts.
I understand that, but there is very little clearance for all the parts to fit into the subframe. Any advice on procedures to line up all the components so the dummy shafts can be installed smoothly?
Any advice is would be appreciated.
ChrisFenton

I’m not sure what parts you’re speaking of. Do you mean the long inboard pinion shaft for the lower control arm? Or do you mean the outer pinion shaft that the aluminum hub carrier pivots on?

I don’t remember the inboard one being any huge hassle. It went through with gentle taps. You do have to ensure that everything is perfectly aligned though. Sometimes it requires some thin shims between the diff and the steel mounting blocks that bolt to it. It needs to slip though with no stress.

The outer pinion dummy shaft is easiest to shove through with the carrier held vertically on the bench so gravity doesn’t displace the thin round shims. They’re easily damaged so just jiggle a smaller shaft around in the hole to centralize them and then carefully nudge the dummy shaft through.

I’m referring to the inner pinion shaft. Good idea putting the shaft vertical.

Like I said, before attempting to push it through the the control arm, ensure that both shafts slip very easily though just the two cage holes and the steel blocks, and if it doesn’t, resolve that first.

Chris,
When I did mine I lined up one side and place the dummy shaft int as far as I could then lined up the other side while tapping the dummy shaft through. Once in place and sure the seals and washers etc were all lined up - I tapped the steel shaft through pushing the dummy out ahead of it. I used hardwood shafts as dummys that were sanded smooth and lubed with grease.

John,

Thanks for advice. Got her done. Lots of grease and lightly sanded the dummy shafts.

Don’t want to do that again for a few years. Thanks again. Time for a “Quarantini.”

Be safe.

Chris

1 Like