Rear windscreen rust repair

Hi all just thought I would post this as a separate item. I did have it included in my first post but another discussion started and there were no comments on my method.
Proposed method of attack for the window out.
I am thinking that I will cut arround the SS finishing piece as deep as I can go then remove the inner bead/seal and cut down hoping to meet the cut from the outside, then pull the window out with the SS piece still connected. I am then going to clean up and repair where necessary the actual recess and around the screen leaving the SS in place. Hopefully then I can fill the recess with new sealant and drop the glass back in place, replace the inner seal and both outer seals as well. Does any one think this is not likely to work? I have some pics :

I would like to thank Randy for the original picture that I have butchered to produce these pictures.
The red lines on the middle picture are where I am hoping to cut the existing adhesive preferably a little straighter than my lines and the bottom pic is the finished product. All good in theory :smile:
Does anyone have any thoughts on this method?
Thanks
Con

Looks like it would work, this is the tool I used to remove the rear screen on my XJ40, different fixing but would probably do the job if you can acquire one.

Interesting gadget Robin, do you know if there are any YouTube vids showing how to use it? Never mind I found some videos myself. Interesting!

Con,
I have removed five front windscreens and four rear windscreens as part of my Jaguar hobby. I typically follow the procedure starting on page 76-22 of the Series III Service Manual when I do this, although I do what is required to get the job done.

In summary I remove the two rubber finishers, use a long cutting blade to cut into the sealant as much as I can, then use a “piano wire” tool that I got at a local auto parts store to carefully and slowly cut through the sealant. It has taken me a few hours to do one windscreen. I have only broken two out of the nine I removed and they were both cracked anyway before I started so I wasn’t being very careful. It helps to have an assistant during some of the wire cuting because it is difficult to do alone and of course you will need a helper at the end to lift the windscreen free.

Did you try a search of the archives before you came up with your plan? The topic of removing and replacing windscreens comes up often especially due to the rust in the windscreen channels and subsequent water leaks into the interior of the car. There should be many helpful post because there are very few new things to discover with the Series III XJ6 or XJ12.

BTW, I have always paid a professional to install my windscreens. After watching them do it I know that it was worth the cost. They use a battery powered caulking gun and moved very quickly to get the inner seal, windscreen and stainless steel trim in place at the correct position and the inner and outer finishers in place. It was money well spent in my opinion. I don’t mind doing the PITA cheap labor work to remove them but it was worth it to me to pay a professional to do the installaton to get it right.

I really that cutting the sealant with a wire cutter is the way to go.

Paul

Thanks for your post Paul, I did do a search and my idea is a combination of a couple of methods. The more I think of it using the wire may be a better solution. What I was triying to achieve was not pulling the SS trim of the window at all and just filling the entire window recess with sealant thus stopping water from ever getting in there again. More thinking is required. I am a little way off at this point just getting all excited about the new addition to the family and trying to plan a way to get this car looking a little better.
Thanks
Con

Won’t work properly, Con - to seal properly the sealant is applied, then the window carefully seated in the ‘wet’ sealant and allowed to cure.

With the trim in place it will be difficult to set the window properly, and besides; you have to clean, and maybe weld the channel - difficult with the trim in place…? There must be no remaining old sealant…

But above all; whatever the method - be very careful with the heated window connections…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks Frank, yep I am starting to get that. I was hoping that the trim would stay on the glass not in the channel. Oh well, does the trim just pull out or is there some cutting rquired?

Trim is replaced ‘after’ the glass is in place, Con, and may stick…so… Trim is very frail - so great care is required during removal…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Well thanks for all your input Frank, guess there’s no shortcuts with this one. Still can’t wait to start, maybe in a little while as it’s rather cold and wet here at the moment,
Con