Reassembling Main Light Switch

Hi,

None of my my lights weren’t working, however there was power to the brown wire to the main lighting switch. I took apart the switch and cleaned the absolutely filthy contacts. However, I didn’t write down or take a picture of the orientation of the contacts inside relative to the shaft (lesson learned). Now, position one turns on the headlights only (at east they work :grin: now), position two the sidelights only, and position three nothing. Has anyone seen a step by step guide on here for disassembling/reassembling the switch? I know there was one for the ignition switch so I’m hoping someone did it for the light switch too. I could keep experimenting until I get it right, but the tabs that hold it together are getting brittle from my fiddling, so I’d like to get it right the next time I open it up. Appreciate the help!

Thank you,
Ray

Ray,

What is the model year of your XJ?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have a 1987 XJ6 VDP.

Regards,
Ray

You really need a wiring diagram, Ray - and your problem may be compounded by a switch/relay fault…

20/20 hindsight dictates carefully noting down wire position before disconnections - but more importantly; the relay outputs should have been pursued first…:slight_smile:

Can you read the numbers on the switch? In which case; -brown to ‘1’.

• slate light to ‘2’ (‘right’ side park, marker lamps and rear number plate)
  • red/slate to ‘3’ (‘left’ ditto)
  • blue to ‘4’ (light relay ‘56’ (headlights)

However, fog lamp wires may, or may, not be present on ‘5’ (red/yellow). Complicating matters; the light switch is prepared for rear fog guards, blocked on US versions - only powered with the switch in the blocked ‘fog’ position.

Basically; first step connects ‘1’ to ‘2’ and ‘3’. Next step connects ‘1’, ‘2’, ‘3’ and ‘4’. However, There are some market/model/years differences - and PO actions cannot be excluded…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)