Reassembly on 70 etype ots WIRING? Mystery RED wire

There is a red wire I cannot find a home. in seat well in picture I attached a picture from demo but tag is facing wrong way and of course is now missing. I have routed to trunk but now believe that it may not belong there. taped to end is short black wire pigtail with female connector and ring for ground.
I do not have a device that is missing wiring. Can any one help with suggestions?

Ed Butler

Ed,
I have deleted this

Handbrake switch? That is R/G in the wiring diagram with a ground.

John North

What John ^^^ said.

Thanks, ill let you know.

EdButler,

Or reverse lamp?

Reverse light switch is Green/Brown and comes through the front bulkhead.

Handbrake switch wire is Red/Green and is circuitously routed along the right side inner rocker panel, behind the right side seat, over the trans tunnel, then forward to the hand brake switch. I’ve no idea why Jaguar routed it this way…

Thanks Doug. My rogue Wire is red fabric. Not red /green. It is 12v hot when key is on. I believe hand brake switch interups ground. I have one drawing that shows hand brake switch else where on cable for series 2. Ill have to keep looking. Once i find something not working right Ill let you know. Thanks

EdButler,

If the wire is the original loom and Red with no tracer, it will be hot when the side light switch is on, independent of the ignition switch. The fact that your wire is hot with only the ignition switch on, strongly suggests that it is the handbrake warning switch wire. If it has a braided cover, the Green tracer may be difficult to see due to fading.

1 Like

Could be for electric antenna.

I am working on the interior of my 1969 E-Type FHC and recently took this picture of the hand brake switch when I removed it temporarily for cleaning.

The Red-Green wire is hot with the battery connected and the ignition switch on. The switch is closed with the hand brake is pulled up and the hand brake is on. The switch opens when the hand brake is lowered into the off position.

Paul

1 Like

Paul, thanks that certainly looks like my rogue wire. They could be sisters, However, i am concerned that when hot positive 12v is fed to ground when switch is closed that that would be bad. Drawings show 12v to light then switch interups neg side of circuit. Maybe thats a false 12v… ah ha! You solved it thanks. Is you switch under car or under console?

EdButler,

Exactly right thank you and everyone hope commented and help.

EdButler,

Ed,
Attached is a picture of the hand brake switch, circled in yellow, in my 1969 E-Type FHC showing its location inside the car beneath the hand brake.

I removed most of the interior to clean up some minor rust, paint, add DYNAMAT, and treat/redye the interior vinyl and leather. So lots of details about the car, like this switch, are easily seen and photographed.

Paul

Thanks paul, thats it. Now i have to remove seats radio, console run wire, test and reinstll. One step forward two back. Such is life.
Thanks again for all who helped.

EdButler,