Just as much as waiting for a swarm of locusts.
But have good fun. The first rebuild always is.
For sure, all the best. But wow , I hope this isn’t your first engine rebuild. My first job was a a 1600 Ford, pretty easy compared to what we are looking at right there.
I’m gonna have to get a full bag of popcorn for this episode . I have a rebuild that I waiting in the wings also.
Just make sure to lean, and lean hard on the workshop manual, and the vast store of knowledge of folks on here.
Oh I am I assure you. Working at cleaning everything I can reuse for now. Buying an overhaul/upgrade kit for the tranny next month. Dial bore guage and micrometer to do the measurements soon after. Will be in contact for new piston rings soon. Between kirby’s book, the service manual, and the enthusiasts I feel there is more than enough for me to create a finished result i can be proud of!
Many years ago, there was a guy on these forums who was out for a weekend drive when the timing chain snapped. The Jaguar V12 being an interference engine, his valves promptly got all mixed up with his pistons. So, on Monday morning he began work on the engine. Friday evening he took the car out for a test drive.
I asked how he did that. His reply: “On Monday I took the engine out of the car. On Tuesday I took the heads off the engine and delivered them to the machine shop for rework. On Wednesday I rebuilt the bottom end. On Thursday I picked up the heads from the shop and put them back on the engine. On Friday I put the engine back in the car.”
So, I ask you: What’s the holdup?
That’s easy: Dexadrine in his Ovaltine!
In all fairness, that is some record, and not easily attainable. That would require everything go as planned, all parts on the bench, and a VERY high level of familiarity of all R&R processes.
Long time ago I was an apprentice in the Ford Trucks and Tractors concessionary in Greece, engine service department.
Removal, total rebuild and re-install an engine of a medium size tractor was more or less a four day job. Of course we had all special tools imaginable, all parts on stock and highly trained mechanics that have done this job a couple of hundred times.
When I was in my teens, my parents had a Chrysler that we pulled a trailer with. Somewhere in N. Dakota it developed a knock. Under warranty we took it in to the local dealer. Pulled the engine and diagnosed as a scored crankshaft. They replaced or turned it down, replaced the engine and by the end of the day and we were on our way.
At one time, back in the 30s, Chryslers earned the nickname, “squareshafts,” due a spare of badly-machined cranks…
Yup, once you’ve done something a few times, it becomes easy. Even if it seems daunting. I can change the clutch on a classic SAAB 900 in less than 2 hours.
An exception: they actually thought about how to do that, easily.
On the other end is the arduous job on an E Type, or an old Toyota Land Cruiser…
Yes, the SAAB 900 engine is mounted back to front. So relatively easy to change the clutch. But it does mean that all the ancillaries - power steering pump, A/C compressor, alternator are wedged right up against the bulkhead. Belt changing is not fun.
No… it is not! Only one worse, IME, was a Citroen DM…
There are a few cars on which the tranny is not removable with the engine in place, so clutch replacement involves pulling the engine/tranny and separating them on the bench.
Still might be an easier job than replacing the evaporator on an XJ-S.
On a old Toyota Land Loser?
Remove fuel tank.
Remove both front seats.
Remove entire inner floor pan.
Remove both driveshafts.
Wrestle the near 800-pound trans/xfer case to the ground (I used a cherry picker, through a door opening).
Replace clutch in 18 minutes.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
Given the choice? Ill take the Toytooter!
I dunno! I have a simple pushrod Jaguar engine. I was driving it at 60-65mph, it seemed like it coughed and then it died. It was flatbedded back home, 1st time ever for me. I took it apart after figuring out that 12 liters of coolant in the oil sump was a bad sign. In early August 2019 I took the block to an engine shop. In November I was asking what’s taking so long. By the end of June 2020 I got it back (over €2000,- euros spent) in August 2020 I took it back as the main bearings were too tight. Turned out they had not measured the bearings but ecpected them to be standard size. Not the case. I am using Clevite 77 mains. Then it turned out they did not have the machinery to modify the rear man bearing housing. I took the block to another engine shop. I would have taken the crank as well but they had outsourced it. After a week I got the block back, all seems well, I took it back to the shop that has the crank, now they tell me they will line bore the block for the -0.020” Chevy 350 mains. I hope so, I would like to fire up this engine before snow falls. And I am in Finland, the engine is from 1948.
And sorry, it’s not a V12. I do have two V12’s and I hope I will not need to rebuild them anytime soon.
Nothing good has ever been reported about that.