Recall: Jack stands

Zooming & cropping from the above photo to more easily compare:

The teeth on the right appear sharper but more shallow.

I still don’t see anything obviously wrong with either of them. Of note, though, both sets of teeth appear perfectly sequential, while the teeth on my 3-ton stands have a flat area between each tooth that probably allows the pawl to better engage a tooth.

We probably need better photos of the pawl itself, but I dunno how to get those. It appears to be secured with a roll pin on mine, and I hate trying to drive those things out and back in.

According to the NHTSA recall notice the problem with the three ton stands is at least in part mis-location of the hole for the shaft that holds the pawl.

From the notice:

, it was determined that product quality was inconsistent due to aging of the tooling and inconsistent
*location indexing of the pawl armature hole *

So it sounds to me like the problem isn’t the teeth so much as the pawl winds up being positioned such that it doesn’t fully engage the teeth on the sliding shaft.

I didn’t see similar language on the 6 ton jack stands.

Here ya go fellas:

The one closest is a ‘good’ 3 ton stand. The furthest is a ‘bad’ 6 ton stand.

1 Like

WOW! That top one looks like total crap! Almost no flat surface to hold the load and the ramps (and to some extent the flats) are curved. Hopefully no one has been killed by these.

The p/n 61196, for the 3-ton stands, that I had, looked a little worst than your picture above (I should have took a picture but was not thinking about it until later) - there were more teeth showing the curve between the ramp and the flat instead of a sharp angle - I took my four stands in yesterday to HF (posted note on PUB section also) and received a store credit card to use for future purchase when the corrected stands arrive - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 5/22/2020 1341hrs. EDT USA

Watch this at :45. This is dated a year ago.

Yeah, that jack stand is NFG! Still, the teeth on the saddle don’t look that bad other than one in particular. Clearly the pawl is garbage, doesn’t grip at all.

I just took mine in today. I actually opted to exchange them for the revised version. First photo is the recalled 6 ton next to a 30 year old “good” 3 ton. On the good stand, the teeth are about 1/4” deep and have a crisp 90 degree angle. On the recalled stand, the teeth are only about 1/8” deep and somewhat rounded. The second photo is the revised HF 8 ton, which looks pretty similar to the old good jack.

Note, there were two others at HF returning jack stands at the same time I was there. image image