Recoloring the Seatgs

List: I’ve completed recoloring of the two front seats, channing the color from black to a yellow/gold. I’ve learned a few things that I will share.
I understand that I could leave or remove the previous black color on the seats. I took a middle road by removed some, but not all of the black color and after allow the leather to dry, I then applying the new color. The current color is removed using lacquer thinner which was available at a paint store and many rags. This material is appled to the leather and then the old color is quickly wiped off with the clean rage. It evaporates quickly once applied and therefore you must have the ragas needed at hand to immediately wipe off the color to be removed. I understand that I could have just painted over the old color. I believe removing the surface of the old paint gives the leather a “tooth” that allows the new color to be more easily applied. And, removal of the old paint allows the configuration of the leather, the perforations and stiching, to be more visible.
I then applied the new color in light coats. Initially I attempted to apply a heave coat of new paint in order to hide all traces of the old color, It is much easier to apply two or three light coats. And finally, it is not necessary to cover every square inch with paint, in order to hide the brush marks. It seems that, at least with the paint from Color Plus, has the ability to self level. The brush marks disappear as the paint dries. And last, but by no means least, the paint is water soluble. This made the work so much easier, after (no fire hazard) and saved material. If I spotted a rea that needed small touch up, it was easy to grab a little paint, and then wash the rush with hot water.
I should also say something about sanding the leather.
As others have said, much of the “cracks” in the old color is superficial. You can sand the leather and remove or minimize the crack. I found a combination of multiple sandpaper grits, from 40 grit to 2,000 grit was needed. Begin with the roughest grand you think you will need and quickly move up to the finer grits. Be gentle with the rough grits. But don’t be afraid to remove the lines even if you are into the leather, but don’t be more aggressive than needed. Apply a quick base coat of the new color and evaluate the results. Sand further as needed and finished with the 4000 grit. On average I applied two base coats of paint and then a final coat that self leveled.

On a related item. As suggested by a lister a few weeks ago, you can easily remove the headrest by giving it a sharp pull. However, after the new paint was dry, I attempted to reinstall the headrest. I was able to easily get the chrome plated post into the hole, but there was no control over the position of the headrest.

I removed the headrest again and observed a small diameter spring inside the seat cavity. While the headrest would slide into its hole easily, there was no control of the up and down position of the headrest. I removed the headrest again and looking into the seat cavity, saw what looks like a mangled spring. What is the correct shape of this spring and where is it placed?

How is the spring supposed to work and what should be the configuration of the spring?

Regards
Lou

*> Blockquote*