Recommended exhaust system?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a twin exhaust system for my 140DHC SE?
I’m in the UK so the Bell system seems to be easiest to get. I see they offer a ‘standard’ twin system and a ‘sport’ one, but the websites I’ve seen them on don’t describe the difference, apart from price. my car is pretty standard, but I like a bit of sound from an exhaust. What are folk using on their 140s?

Hi Roger…a quick call to SNGB would get you a definitive answer to the difference…i purchased from then the standard Bell twin for my 150…yet to fit it. …the sport has “With a larger bore and better flow than the standard exhaust system, they have a great sound and help the engine to breath considerably better” …I went for the Bell as iv used them on E types with no problems and a good fit…some prefer mild steel saying they give a better “tone” and stainless sound a bit “tinney”…i cant say that my bells ever sounded " tinney…i went for the standard as i didnt want extra noise…Steve

Thanks Steve, good to know the fit was OK on the E type. I’ve struggled in the past with poorly fitting systems and I would imagine the XK is not easy to fit if the angles aren’t correct. I’ve sent a price query to Classic Fabs but I suspect they won’t be cheap. Double S might be worth asking too, but you can’t really tell until it’s fitted!
I’ll talk to SNGB about the difference as that’s probably where I’ll end up. So, standard or sports? Hmmm, I like a bit of noise, but it needs to stay in character…

From memory, the old system I removed had flexible sections to connect to the cast manifolds. The Bell system doesn’t seem to have those - is that a concern?

Hi Roger…my new Bell for the 150 have flex sections

For the E type sngb fitting kit was very good value. …however the clamps they provide need really tightening hard to compress the thick exaust…Steve

I have the Bell twin exhaust van SNGBarratt on my XK140.
Nice sound, not to loud.
Perfect fit, I also used there fitting kit.

Hi,

My 120 FHC has had both the Bell “Sports” and now the standard single.

I think that in the DHC you will have less of an issue with drumming, but in the FHC (or possibly with a closed hood in your car) the double is going to be rather noisy.

They both fit beautifully.

Best,

Ll.

I’ve ordered the Bell standard dual system and fitting kit. I’ll report back, but as the engine’s not in the car yet it might take a while!

I’d like to point out that Jaguar reduced the diameter of the exhaust pipes from the 140 to the 150 for better flow. They also used the smaller diameter ports for the same reason and got the same torque but at a lower RPM range.
Last week I removed the single Bell system because it had a poor fit.

If you’re in the UK, I recommend P D Gough in Nottingham. They’ve been in the business for many, many years, and I’m pretty sure they would have an original XK140 system in stock as a pattern. They made me a correct new tailpipe for my single exhaust XK120 and I was very happy with the results.

Roger - Classic Fabs in Scotland was highly recommended to me - In the end I re-used some older parts with a view that when I saved up the money I’d upgrade to their product. Worth a look.

I also had a look at Hayward and Scott - but don’t have any insight into their products.

Thanks all - I’ve bought the Bell standard system from SNGB, as they had it on special offer. I’ll report back.

I have a Hayward and Scott custom system on my Mustang - JBA Shorty headers into the S&H 3" pipes. It makes a great noise and has given no problems in 18 years, but it was rather expensive…