Recommended fluids for XK140 MC FHC

I’m a new owner of a 56 XK140 MC FHC with the DG250 automatic transmission. This is my first Jag and the oldest car I have ever owned. (owning an old Jag has been a dream of mine sine I was a small boy…some 50 plus years later I am finally realizing that dream)
For engine oil I was considering Valvoline 20-50 high zinc racing oil. What do you think? I saw that some recommend Penrite 20-60 classic Light, but the only place I found that sells that in the U.S. is in California. I am on the other side of the country (Maine). Is it Ok to use the Valvoline racing oil or should I spend the extra $ and have the Penrite shaped from California? What would be best for this 3.4 L MC?

I saw Kroon Classic ATF A recommended for the auto trans. however I found no source of that in the U.S. Any recommendations? What fluid will result in the best operation of this transmission (hopefully that is easily available in the U.S.)/
Thanks.

Welcome Jeffrey.
My feeling is you don’t need to molly coddle these engines with boutique oils. They are tough. I use 10W-40 in any of the major brands, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State. Just don’t let it get down more than a quart or two.
The trans is a Borg Warner Detroit Gear, also used in Ford and Studebaker among others, so see what your local trans shop sells or recommends.

Thanks Rob,

I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

My understanding is that although these engines are pretty durable, due to having flat tappets, a high zinc oil is recommended by many folks, and so I was curious as to what brands others use. Since an old Jaguar is a rare sight in Maine, I do plan to coddle this one.

I will use your suggestion of contacting a transmission shop to see what trans fluid the recommend in these old DG250s.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff

Agreed: that said, running at the bottom of the cross-hatching isn’t dangerous, and cuts oil consumption.

The worst oil on the market is miles better than the best oils available 40+ years ago.

I used whatever decent oil was on sale.

Jeff:

Your comment regarding flat tappets and the need for an oil with a zddp content is valid. I have used Kendall GT-1 20W50 for many years now and I would assume that it would be relatively easy for you to access. I get mine from the supplier here locally (Hamilton, Ontario) from whom I purchased Castrol ever since I got my XK in the early 1960s. I switched after I learned that the Castrol available here no longer had that additive. I find with the “thicker” viscosity the car generally returns 2,500-3,000 miles per litre.

Chris.

Thanks Chris (and all others who have made suggestions),

I figure I will use either the Mobil 1 15-50 or the Kendall GT-1 20-50…Winter will be with me for a while, so I have ample time before I’ll be changing the oil

Jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding motor oil.

Are there any autobox owners out there who would like to share what they use for ATF?

Thanks
Jeff

I have used Valvoline VR1 oil since my rebuild and it gives me very good protection. If I drive during the winter I change to 15-40 from the summer 20-50 and it does fine. NJ winter. Now I need not change the oil viscosity since I moved to VA.

I held off for some 140/150 owner to answer first.
I did a little research and found that when your trans was new the only fluid available was called Type A.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2015/03/16/tech-101-automatic-transmission-fluid-part-one-american-manufacturers
In my '74 XJ12 with Borg Warner Model 12 transmission, I use Pennzoil Type F.

Thanks Rob, that was a good article!

Hi Jeff,
I have three DG (Detroit Gear) automatic transmissions, one that I have been running since I bought my first car in 1967, an automatic 1954 MK VII. I bought a 61 MK IX in 1997 and a 59 MK IX in 2002, both DG automatics with the same transmission that is in your car. Throughout the years I was advised by a transmission shop that I should use Dexron fluid, which I used up until the time that I bought my first MK 9. At that time I did some research (when I drained the transmission fluid to replace it) and found that Ford Type F was more like the original Type A fluid that Jaguar specified in their owners manual. Since then I have use Type F in all three of the transmissions with no problem. I really did not notice any difference between the two fluids, although some owners say that Dexron provides a firmer shift.

I just had two DG transmissions rebuilt for my two MK IX’s and the rebuilder, an 84 year old gentleman who has been rebuilding DG’s since 1958, confirmed that Dexron or Ford Type F can be used. I will continue to use Ford Type F as soon as I refit the transmissions, pending the completion of the motor rebuilds.

Tom Brady

is the Dexron…all the Dexron III ?

Hi Nick,
Good question, My transmission rebuilder just said Dexron. Since I use Ford Type F I did not take it any further. The Dexron I used back in the 70’s was the original formula and in the 80’s and 90’s the later formula was backwardly compatible with the original. I did a bit or research on the current version of Dexron and it is so specialized for modern transmissions that it is not backwardly compatible with the original Dexron formula. Dexron III however, still available, looks to be compatible with all previous formulas.

Tom Brady

Thanks Tom & Nick,

I appreciate the information. Thanks for taking the time. This car is the gem of my collection and I want to treat it right.

Jeff