Refurbishing Boot MK2 Drain Holes?

I am refurbishing the boot area of my MK2, and have a few questions. Are the 3 large 1”± holes in the bottom of the spare tire well meant to have plugs or are they drain holes? Also is the fuel sender cover plate meant to be body color or black? Paul Skilleter has indicated black in his book Jaguar MK2 Super Profile, but this is the only mention of the cover plate color I have seen. As always any information will be much appreciated. Cheers ,
Mark

Going by what is on my 3.8S the holes in the boot floor are plugged with metal covers that clip in from above…

I only have 2 , I think they are drain holes , but they do have plugs !
On my 240 , had 2 , the cover is not painted , it looks a bit like galvanised .

Thanks for the helpful input. I will try to find the right plugs. Thanks !

Mark

On our original Mk2, the petrol sender cover plate was, and still is, black. The rest of the car is green. We also have the metal plugs in the 1" holes under the spare.

Thanks Bruce,

Good to know! I will paint the cover black and find some plugs for the holes. Any idea where the rubber washer for the jack is used, and what it looks like?

Hello Mark,

Our jack still retains its original rubber washer and leather strap. This is how these two items were positioned prior to refurbishing. The washer applies tension against the leather strap when buckled which in turn prohibits the arm from coming in contact with the jack frame, screw thread, boot floor and boot wall.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Thank you Brian! That helps a bunch. Does the rubber washer have a hole in it, or is it a solid rubber disc? I think I have something like that I will use until I can find an original part. Does anyone know where I can get the leather strap? Also looking for the King Dick ratchet. Anyone got a spare?

Cheers,
Mark

I am just cleaning out my MK2 boot area and have plastic bungs in 3 holes but the important bit is the drain hole in the bottom of the spare wheel well under the clamp bracket. This is where all the muck collects and once this hole is blocked the rust will get to work. It is the only area of real rot on my shell. I need to fabricate a new wheel clamp threaded tube which should not be too difficult.

Mine was rotten too , could not remove the clamp , so drilled small holes all around , and removed all the rot , managed to unscrew the spare wheel bolt out , with it in a vice , then made up new boot floor , welded thread part back on , then welded it back in the well , The domed part with the thread is spot welded to the floor , easy to clean up the base and re weld it to knew floor , very time consuming , but very rewording as you would not know it had been done !!!
I did not know there was a strap to hold the part of the jack that slides in to the body of the car , to the jack , to stop it moving about , new strap and rubber spacer added , you learn something new all the time :+1:

WP_20141231_007|690x387

Plugs are either black or clear This sheet is/was available from Jaguar,may be of help. The part number is bd 15588 5.

Peter B.

Wow, fantastic repair Ian! Where did you find the leather strap? I was thinking maybe a small dog collar? I found the plastic plugs in the British Wiring Inc. catalog under blanking grommets. 7/8” I believe. I had only surface rust around the bottom of the clamp screw tube, but it did look a bit scraped up, so after I repainted I inserted a 1/8” thick rubber washer around it. Now when the spare tyre is clamped in tight, the edge of the rim snugs up to the rubber, no vibration or scraping . Not standard I know, but still it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.
Has anyone used OSJI for the boot mat? I ordered one and the side panels. Not a great fit all around. Maybe they think the boot fit is meant to be a bit rough? Maybe I’m too picky. Anyone else been down this road?
Cheers
Mark

Thank you Mark , had the strap laying about , off a old hamper basket !

I was at a car show a few years back , guy had for sale a part roll of black car carpet , just the right size for the boot , so made a template and cut it too fit , found some new press studs on e-bay , fit’s like a glove , all for under £10 :grin: