Refurbishing the Dash, you will not believe this

Went for a full test drive today.

FANTASTIC ! The temp gauge needle only got to the top half of the needle at the bottom of the ‘N’. Oil pressure gained more than 20lbs. Never before has this happened since I have owned the Jag for 25yrs. The fuel and the voltage were also higher.

For the first time ever since I have owned the Jag have the readings been this high and behaved this way. Like I said in my post yesterday, all I did was bathe the flexcircuit board in contact cleaner. Standard cleaner, a dielectric that also leaves a lubricant. In refurbishing I did notice that one or more of the fingers on the flexcircuit board had delaminated so I was sure that they made a good contact with the connectors at the back of the dashboard. All I can say is that at least one of the many circuit traces were not making a good contact with the fingers on the connectors but now they are. One was actually folded over and probably not making contact.

For my entire ownership, I have not had the gauges perform like this. The contact cleaner did eliminate all of the corrosion on the screw connections to the flexcircuit. I myself am amazed and very very happy. I feel so comfortable driving and reading the gauges for the very first time, especially the oil pressure !

2 Likes

Sounds like this should qualify for miracle status

There is another miracle in front of you. You will not believe how quickly it will return to previous status… if you haven’t used copper conductive paste on assembly :wink:

I will keep that in mind if I see the ‘miracle’ disappearing into the sunset.

XjsBanger, aka Debbie Downer :wink:

Now, ya just need Ray Livingston’s new stepper gauges!

Hello Paul - glad you mentioned Ray and his gauges - I could not remember who had been working on using the stepper gauges and I am considering installing a few extra gauges in my car - now I will try to contact him if he has been able to settle back in since his ordeal with the huge fires out his way - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 10/20/2020 1049hrs. EDT USA.

1 Like

Debbie Downer’s screenwriter, to be precise.

1 Like