Relay function and location #2

This second picture are the relays located on the top middle of the picture frame. the part # on the top relay is
3325E. The part number on the bottom relay is 33232E. I am thinking fan control (top) and horn control on the bottom. Help.

I see you have AC which may account for yours being different from mine. I don’t know if relay part numbers are definitive but looking at the color of the wires and comparing to the wiring diagram would certainly be a good clue as to their function.

Relay #33232 Fan: #3325 is probably a typo - I think it should have 5 digits. I’m guessing that the second relay is the Fan relay that is connected to the A/C system (which turns on the cooling fan when A/C is on, independent of the engine temperature).

-David

top relay, 33252E is activated when your AC is turned on, it completes the ground circuit and the fans come on when the green/white control wire from the AC switch by the ignition goes hot (+12v).
The bottom relay is 33232L is the fan control relay

Bob F

Would Dale also have 3 relays (horn, alt, AC) on the left hand splash guard (behind the battery)?

I ask as his other post about that area only shows 2 relays.

Yes, the bottom relay on the splash guard is an A/C relay. I would have to refer to the schematic to recall the function but that is its function.

Bob F

Hi Bob. Thanks for the confirmation on the relay comment by George. This
info is really helpful since I did not disassemble this Jaguar. One thing
I do not understand is why the relays are located away from the part they
are controlling? If someone could give a logical explanation, that would
be great.

Dale,

I agree, they put some relays in weird places, have you found the relay up over the AC blower in the passenger footwell? early series 2 cars had it hidden up in the dash, in 1970 they moved it out in the engine compartment by the washer bottle. I am trying to find my picture of it tucked up in the dash.

as for the A/C relay on the splash guard, it is energized when the key is on, this prevents the A/C system from draining the battery if the car is off. it just controls the +12v that powers the system.

the two on the front picture frame just ended up there I think as cars without A/C only have the one, they put a second one there that energizes when the A/C is turned on to overide the otter switch and force the fans on all the time, at least while the ignition is on.

Bob

1 Like

Good Day. Here’s a pic of what I believe you were speaking of. This is prior to my complete dissasembly of my 69’ coupe about 1 year ago. And, that was after 35 year storage. This is on the side upper frame, right rear of glove compartment!

Dale I am unclear as to why relays were placed where they were is more helpful than where they are. It is very common for relays to be placed in locations for ease of service (the reason the starter relay was moved after AC became common), harness runs, protection and possibly several other reasons. Your car only has a few so what and where should be easy. Try looking at a modern Jaguar with several boxes of fuses and relays (many many) but the owners manual tells you where they are and what they do. From your initial question is it safe to guess you do not have a Work Shop manual? Remember the E by the time your car (a 70 or 71 right?) was some 10 years old in design with additional things added on (and in some cased deleted) during that run. On the V12 cars the two relays were placed on top of the radiator under a shield but that was a almost new design. I am sure there were engineer notes during the development of the E and during production changes but those are handed down to us in the form of service manuals, parts books, and technical/parts bulletins. Best of luck

Mark,

The location shown in your photo is where the starter relay resides on my '69 OTS. It was later (1970?) moved into the engine bay. If yours is a '69 with A/C I suspect that it is also your starter relay, since you’ve already reported finding another relay which could fit below the other 2 on the LH Splash Panel, which is probably your A/C Control relay. I strongly recommend to get access to the wiring diagrams for your car, as provided the harness wire colors are still discernible, you can deduce which relay is which by checking which wires are connected.

-David

Mine is a 69. It had AC when I got it in 73, but as an aftermarket setup, it never worked very well and I removed it in about 78 or so. As a part of my restoration, I am getting ALL new wiring harnesses for everything! Just doesn’t seem right to clean and paint everyhting and then re-hook-up old cruddy wiring. I plan on putting all relays, etc etc where they were originally unless there is a reason to re-locate, ie. ease of necessary accessing etc. When I removed the old harnesses, I cut all wiring about 3 inches from every terminal so I would at least have an indicator of the original color coding.

I also kept the harnesses just in case I needed a wire here or there.

Your new harness will not allow for re-location of more than a few parts of inches.

Thanks for the info George, Yes, I do have the workshop manual, and it has been very helpful. An item that would be really helpful is a proper wiring diagram. I one from classic car 1970-1971 which does jive with my
actual wiring. Example, rear wires to brake/stop lights shows all RED wires. I do not have any RED wires to
the rear. The one correct wire I have found is for the headlights (blue with white strip).

Bob, I do have a relay next to the washer bottle on the passenger side. I thought it was for the wind screen and bottle washer but upon closer inspection I see I have separate wires from under the console to run these
devices. The relay number next to the bottle washer is 33231E 2270 with Lucas name and 6RA above this
number. This relay was bolted to the firewall next to the washer bottle. There are five wires attached to this
relay plus a ground wire. Right now, only GOD knows where they are supposed to go.

This is what I use:

http://xks.com/i-6916667-jaguar-wiring-book-e-type-4-2-ser-ii-wiring-booklet-11-0806.html

Yes, it seems pricey but it is a very useful set of separate diagrams (e.g. 'lighting, ‘ignition’, etc) so it is very easy to work with.

Apart from the error in the coil connections noted above and some problems with the fuse layout - it seems very accurate for my 69 S2.

When I modify or add something I draw write on the diagram - hopefully some future owner will thank me for that.

Dale 1937;
On my 70 2+2 the starter relay is on the bulkhead, right side near where the washer bottle is on a 69.
There is also a relay behind the fold down door for the dash gauges and it serves the heated rear window. The two relays for the radiator fans attached to the picture frame have already been identified as well as the three relays on the left side splash panel in front of the battery they serve the horns, alternator and A/C.

Regards, Joel.

1 Like

Dale,

Are you sure about this? The wires for the brake/stop lights are green with a purple tracer on every E-Type wiring diagram I’ve checked. The red wires to the rear are for the tail lights.

-David

Dale,

The 33231 relay is the Starter Relay which was moved to the engine compartment in 1970 at the time the ballasted ignition system was introduced. It is a two pole relay, with one pole used for the Starter Motor Solenoid (White/Red), and the second for the ballast bypass circuit used when starting (White/Blue).

-David