Relay Switch testing

I have a Load Relay that I want to test with a meter. I’m curious if 85 to 86 should read any resistance. I’m unfamiliar with the labels on this relay. I assume 30/51 to 87 is the switch and should read very high resistance. I have 57ohms across 86-85. I have Infinite across 30/51-87 (which should be correct if it supposed to be open). I also get infinite when testing 30-51 to 85&86
Please let me know if I doing this correct and if my findings are that of a good relay.

Cal,
I see that you are new to Jag-Lovers. Welcome!
I don’t believe your test will prove whether your relay is good or not. But if you have a good 12 volt DC power source like a car battery, some electrical leads, and a multimeter you can test whether your relay is good or not.
That symbol between pins 85 and 86 is for the electromagnet solenoid that pulls down the switch between pins 87 and 30/51 when power is applied. With no power applied to pins 85 and 86 the relay is open and if you checked pins 87 and 30/51 there should be no continuity between them in a good relay. When power is applied to pins 85 and 86 (12V + to one and 12V- to the other) the electromagnet pulls the switch between pins 87 and 30/51 to the closed position and then there should be continuity between pins 87 and 30/51.
I hope this answers your questions. If not just reply with your additional questions.

Paul

As Paul said, it is a normal relay and the diagram shows what happens inside, so you will connect your multimeter between the 30 and 87 posts, then apply a battery or other 12v source to the two other posts, you should hear it click and the resistance should go down. The coil appears to have continuity, now you will only have to measure the resistance across the closed contacts.

I have to expand on davidsxj6 post just a little and say do not apply +12v to both of the other contacts (86 & 85). Either one can have +12v connected, but the other has to go to ground. Otherwise you will let all the smoke out of the relay.

Dave

No, if you connect 12V on both 85 and 86 terminals the Voltage difference will be 0 and nothing will happen. The relay will not click of course, but the smoke will safely stay inside.

But if you connected +12 and -12 on the other, that would be funny. I spotted it but figured that should be obvious enough. Any 12 V source will do.

Yes, that would free up the smoke in no time!

Pins 85 and 86 are the coil, Yes, 57 Ohms is right.

Pins 30/51 and 87 are the switch. With no power to the coil the switch should be open, so Yes, Infinite resistance would be right.

The coil and switch contacts should be independent. So Yes Infinite when testing 30/51 to 85-86 is right.

Final test is to apply 12V across pins 85 and 86 (doesn’t matter about polarity). The relay should click and resistance measured across 30/51 and 87 should drop from Infinite to almost zero.

The tests you’ve done so far are correct, but you need to do the final test above to confirm you have a good relay.

Regards,

Andy

You are right Aristides, my mistake.

Dave